Rumored Apple "iWatch" to feature curved glass design

Rick

Staff

Fueled by sources purportedly familiar with Cupertino's developments, a report by The New York Times indicates Apple's rumored wristwatch-like device will feature curved glass. Rumors suggest the "iWatch", as it is being called for now, could enter production as early as this year.

Interestingly, Apple was issued a patent in December for a novel process which yields high-quality, curved glass. Could the company be leveraging this technology for their iWatch? Perhaps.

Two of the Times' sources also claim that Apple's iWatch will stand apart from the competition based on the company's understanding of how glass can curve around the human body. Could this also mean flexible glass? Although Apple's patent doesn't touch on flexible glass specifically, companies like Corning are able to produce flexible glass composites like Willow Glass -- a watch may be an interesting use for such a material.

Smartwatches are hardly new, but an impressive crop of increasingly sophisticated wrist-mounted devices made their way to CES this year. Thus far, manufacturers have managed to stuff social networking features, texting and even calling capabilities into these tiny wrist-hugging devices.

Rumors suggest the iWatch will feature a 1.5-inch passive display, Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and of course the latest addition: curved glass. However, little else is known (or thought to be known) about Apple's possible smartwatch entry. Will it be a directions-giving, Siri-backtalking, app-installing, iOS-based cellular device? Or will the iWatch merely be a wrist-wearable iPod Shuffle? It is simply too early to tell.

Permalink to story.

Siri might be in there?! Sweet! I've wanted a talking watch ever since seeing **** Tracy with one.

I'll bet it'll do everything it advertises wonderfully, except tell time.

**** Tracy may prevent crApple from getting a patent on this - at least it should, given US patent law that says that anything from the movies cannot be patented after the fact.

OMG, what will crApple do? :)

It looks interesting to say the least. I would hope that two versions would be released. One for Iphone the other for everyone else. I know thats too much to hope for but hey....a consumer can dream right?? Wait I forgot....Apple is patening dreaming.

Apple probably saw the pebble startup thing and thought to themselves "someone is trying to enhance our product and get money from it, we must kill this competition!"

I seriously wont be surprised if apple sues pebble soon.

It is actually going to be the iSwatch and it will come in different styles, but you didn't hear it from me.

Smart Watches are hardly new technology - yet every apple user will swear no one has anything like it. As they always do.

If you already have an iPhone, what's the point of an iWatch? Oh wells, Apple sheeple will lap this up to add to their repertoire of redundant Apple devices.

Back