Rumored Chrome OS netbook packs ARM CPU, Tegra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Rumored specifications have hit the Web detailing Google's forthcoming Chrome OS netbook. According to IBTimes the search giant has spoken with several hardware manufacturers about making its netbook, which will reportedly be powered by an ARM processor and a chipset from Nvidia's Tegra line.

The Google Chrome OS netbook will supposedly tote a 10.1-inch TFT HD-ready multi-touch display, a 64GB SSD, 2GB of RAM, USB ports, a webcam, a multi-card reader, a 3.5mm audio jack, as well as Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, and Ethernet connectivity.

The netbook is expected to hit shelves in the holiday season of 2010, and will ship with various Google apps preinstalled, such as Google Map, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Google Search by Voice.

Rumors indicate that Google will offer its netbook for a sub-$300 price when accompanied by a contract with network operator such as AT&T or Verizon, but almost everything is hearsay at this point.

Permalink to story.

Ewww contracts from AT&T....but the netbook specs sound neat :) . I always wanted one maybe I'll give that a try once it comes out without the contract of course.

Looks like better than average hardware. Wish it could run Windows. Frankly, I'm not going to pay $300 when I can buy a Windows netbook for about that much, let alone $300 plus contract. Give me a device that's $100 to $150 and can do the net side of a netbook well, and I'll consider it.

For that you could buy an Africa, not this. Strip it up a little too much and you might have a sub 200 netbook.

No touchscreen, no 3G, no bluetooth, no SSD, no webcam, no tegra (??), no 2gb ram (This one I find a joke... come on! with an ARM processor how much on heavens name would you have running to fill 2gb of ram? that's plain "heeeey look it even has 2gb of ram!! sweet dude!", plain stupid... even windows 7 atom netbooks run just fine in a gig of ram, why would crhome os wouldn't run on that?).

With 1gb of ram, maybe no bluetooth (After all, we all are waiting for the new wifi protocol for device to device connection on the fly ;) ), what's the need of a touchscreen? Unless it is a tablet computer which is not specified, plain wrong. I have seen dumb people writing on the screen or tapping the visual keyboard on a normal notebook with touchscreen, they just take twice the time to write instead of typing but HEY! he uses a stylus on the screen!! How cool is that!

Once I read the news all I read was ARM, didn't see the extra non-seem-to-be-needed hardware.

I'm just not going with Chrome until it looks like an actual operating system. That still just looks like a tabbed browser.

I don't think some people realize how powerful a Cortex A9 actually is, anyway, With those specs, I'd definitely buy one of those devices and put on a real OS, something like Crunchbang or Opensolaris. As long as that custom hardware is not bios locked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back