TechSpot

Rumors: Apple iPhone 5 will use 4.0-inch screen

By Leeky
May 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. More concrete information is beginning to emerge that Apple will introduce a larger screen for its upcoming sixth-generation iPhone, moving away from the 3.5-inch screens that have been used since...

Read the whole story
  2. I hope it doesn't get any longer..It already barely fits in my pocket and bruises my leg.
  3. I think you'll find this 4" display is for the 'remote' on the apple 'iTV' ;)
  4. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

About damn time. I was wondering they could go suckering in people with new features while still keeping the screen size tiny. In fact I completely skipped the 4S because of the screen size. 4" is a good size. Not too big and not too small. Just as long as they don't make the rest of the phone bigger. Should be doable.
  5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Its not like the screen on the Iphone 4/4s is bad, its just a bit tiny in comparison. I have a tablet but its not very pocket freindly. I hope to see a 4 inch+ screen on the next one. Due to the limitations of the Iphone 4/4S I was going to migrate to a different phone that offered a bigger screen. However if the screen is good sized I will prolly stay with Iphone.

They better make Siri or whatever the new one is going to be named a bit more user freindly.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,917   +365

this has been a rumor each time for the last 3 iphones.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,823   +546

This doesn't sound good.

If Apple is serious about re-establishing its position on the market, they absolutely have to deliver iPhone 6 with resolution of 720P, because it now becomes standard de facto.

They already have a perfect quality screen in iPhone 4/4S with 326 DPI. And 720P at 326 DPI = 4.3" screen.

A screen with 4.0" would Imply they are not going for 720P, and then iPhone 6 will suck. And trying to fit 720P into just 4.0" would be utterly pointless.
  8. It would be better for Apple to introduce a longer life battery as Motorola is doing. Users are seek of feeling like junkies searching for a socket shot.
  9. Amazing! I've hear that it will also continue to work as a phone! I'm going to get in line right now.
  10. Oooo stop the presses!! once again apple .. announces, as if its a big deal, they are doing sonething! android and windows phones have been using 4 inch and above screens for quite awhile. Shut up apple and let us know when you actually come up with something worth while thay someone else has not come up with first that you just try to steal for own.

Go ahead..flame on, you know im right :)
  11. Guest, you are right :)

12. 4" is perfect size for a mobile device. Those 4.7" on HTC and 4.8" on Galaxy III are HUGE and are not pretty!
    I will be disappointed if Apple puts 4.5" screen.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.