Rumors: Apple iPhone 5 will use 4.0-inch screen

Leeky

More concrete information is beginning to emerge that Apple will introduce a larger screen for its upcoming sixth-generation iPhone, moving away from the 3.5-inch screens that have been used since the device was first introduced in 2007.

The Wall Street Journal reports that sources familiar with the matter have confirmed South Korean panel maker LG Display and two Japanese firms, Sharp Corporation and the government-backed Japan Display, have already begun production of the new display which will be at least 4.0-inches in size.

They believe all three suppliers are likely to get production orders as early as June, making handset production possible by August and guaranteeing its arrival before the all-important Christmas holiday period.

The rumors appear more credible after Reuters claimed their own sources revealed the same three suppliers are already producing the screens. They believe the exact size of the new iPhone screen will be 4.0-inch from corner to corner. There's no information on the resolution of the display from either sources, however.

It's not surprising to see Apple considering a larger screen, especially since smartphones topping consumer wish lists appear to increasingly offer larger screen sizes than Apple's iPhone. The Cupertino-based firm's largest rival, Samsung Electronics, launched their latest flagship Galaxy S3 handset in the UK at the beginning of the month, sporting a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display, for example.

The reports follow rumors in March that suggested the new iPhone would feature a 4.6-inch display. If anything, the move to a 4.0-inch screen seems more likely, but we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Permalink to story.

I hope it doesn't get any longer..It already barely fits in my pocket and bruises my leg.

I think you'll find this 4" display is for the 'remote' on the apple 'iTV' ;)

About damn time. I was wondering they could go suckering in people with new features while still keeping the screen size tiny. In fact I completely skipped the 4S because of the screen size. 4" is a good size. Not too big and not too small. Just as long as they don't make the rest of the phone bigger. Should be doable.

Its not like the screen on the Iphone 4/4s is bad, its just a bit tiny in comparison. I have a tablet but its not very pocket freindly. I hope to see a 4 inch+ screen on the next one. Due to the limitations of the Iphone 4/4S I was going to migrate to a different phone that offered a bigger screen. However if the screen is good sized I will prolly stay with Iphone.

They better make Siri or whatever the new one is going to be named a bit more user freindly.

This doesn't sound good.

If Apple is serious about re-establishing its position on the market, they absolutely have to deliver iPhone 6 with resolution of 720P, because it now becomes standard de facto.

They already have a perfect quality screen in iPhone 4/4S with 326 DPI. And 720P at 326 DPI = 4.3" screen.

A screen with 4.0" would Imply they are not going for 720P, and then iPhone 6 will suck. And trying to fit 720P into just 4.0" would be utterly pointless.

It would be better for Apple to introduce a longer life battery as Motorola is doing. Users are seek of feeling like junkies searching for a socket shot.

Amazing! I've hear that it will also continue to work as a phone! I'm going to get in line right now.

Oooo stop the presses!! once again apple .. announces, as if its a big deal, they are doing sonething! android and windows phones have been using 4 inch and above screens for quite awhile. Shut up apple and let us know when you actually come up with something worth while thay someone else has not come up with first that you just try to steal for own.

Go ahead..flame on, you know im right :)

4" is perfect size for a mobile device. Those 4.7" on HTC and 4.8" on Galaxy III are HUGE and are not pretty!
I will be disappointed if Apple puts 4.5" screen.

Back