Rumors claim Microsoft will launch $100 Xbox Lite in 2013 before 720

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft could be planning to launch a $100 gaming console in time for the 2013 holiday season, according to the latest leak from prominent rumorist MS Nerd. If true, this new console would push back the release date of the next generation Xbox 360 into 2014 or beyond.

The Xbox Lite, previously known as the Xbox Loop, is said to feature an ARM processor but other specifications on what make it so cheap are unknown. It’s feasible to think that the Lite could ship without a hard drive and rely on cloud storage for games and saves, but that’s pure speculation on my part.

MS Nerd claims that the Lite will still be able to play games, media apps and uses the Kinect motion-sensing device. VR-Zone suspects that Redmond could be prepared to take a financial hit on the console to fend off competition from other manufacturers.

The Lite would effectively push back the launch of the Xbox 720 (also called the Xbox Next in some circles) to at least 2014. Microsoft has already confirmed that they won’t be showing any new Xbox hardware at this year’s E3 convention which led many to believe it would happen at E3 2013 instead.

Tech Radar lists this rumor as “possible” on their rumor meter, although they further point out that MS Nerd is just some guy that speculates on Microsoft rumors and doesn’t actually work for the company. As with any rumor, it’s best taken with a grain of salt.

Permalink to story.

Why would releasing a new budget version of the 360 next year automatically mean that the 720 (or whatever) is pushed to 2014?? For all we know the newest Xbox will hit the shelves the day after E3 2013.

I do have a pc that I use for gaming! I also have a ps3 and xbox360 that is also used for gaming. Now I only play the consoles when playing sports games. We all know that consoles are holding back the PC games visually.

That would be rather stupid ey? Just launch Xbox720 lite instead, forget 360 .... Hopefully 720 will be backwards compatible with the older games.

I might shell out for PS4 or 720, though I am a PC gamer... All depend show good those consoles are going to be and their price. If anything above £300, il pass.

psycros said:
Why would releasing a new budget version of the 360 next year automatically mean that the 720 (or whatever) is pushed to 2014?? For all we know the newest Xbox will hit the shelves the day after E3 2013.

Good question.

artix said:
That would be rather stupid ey? Just launch Xbox720 lite instead, forget 360 .... Hopefully 720 will be backwards compatible with the older games.

I might shell out for PS4 or 720, though I am a PC gamer... All depend show good those consoles are going to be and their price. If anything above £300, il pass.

This possible SKU is aimed toward a specific type of gamer.

I cringe every time i see a crapbox and how outdated it is, even the 720 will be when released....Now back to my real gaming platform with 2 x gtx 680s and 2 x 256gb SSD 2700k @ 5Ghz 16gb DDR3 and 2560 x 1600 res.

psycros said:
Guest said:
Hope this is not true. I am ready for the next gen!

Cool, buy a PC.
with all due respect, xbox's are 150 and and equivilent PC is at the bare $400.
the only difference is more multiplayer features/player maturity, which doesnt matter for single player games.

I love my PC for games, but i still use xbox quite often.

I dunno why people say this would be a bad move. The ps2 outsold the ps3 for a long time. Its cause it was cheap and had a ****-ton of games for it. Fast forward to current gen and the 360 still has tons of life left in it. The people with money burning holes in their pocket can pick up the latest console and all the latest gen games at release for $70 a pop while people like us who have something called fiscal responsibility can pick up the old games you bought at $60 for $5-15 in the used games bins. We're better off anyway. More they push graphics, the more story and gameplay suffer.

And how much better graph will be???its not like snes and n64 or n64 and gamecube,graph is on level that cant go much better than it is.

360 on ARM? That will make direct-to-metal games run well. If Microsoft aren't willing to have ARM->x86 backwards compatibility or even write an x86->ARM interpreter for Windows 8, then they're not going to release an ARM-based console that plays 360 games just before the release of a new, again different console.

$0.02

ikesmasher said:
psycros said:
Guest said:
Hope this is not true. I am ready for the next gen!

Cool, buy a PC.
with all due respect, xbox's are 150 and and equivilent PC is at the bare $400.
the only difference is more multiplayer features/player maturity, which doesnt matter for single player games.

I love my PC for games, but i still use xbox quite often.

I am not going to tell you to buy a PC, but the advantages of a PC is more than just multiplayer features and player maturity. Gameplay for example is far superior with keyboard and mouse on a PC, also the graphics and complexity (destruction, map size, etc) is better on a PC.

I am not going to tell you to buy a PC, but the advantages of a PC is more than just multiplayer features and player maturity. Gameplay for example is far superior with keyboard and mouse on a PC, also the graphics and complexity (destruction, map size, etc) is better on a PC.

... at a considerably higher cost ;) Also, that may be true with RTS and FPS but sport and driving games are much better suited to consoles. Keyboard and mouse are useless for playing these.

A PC is much more superior in every aspect but its not if you have a disability, PC games takes advantage of all genres in every way heck look at MW2 that is still kicking *** on PC due to it being fully hacked which means amazing user made maps that look miles better then the developers maps and mods as well zombies on MW2 is quite fun if the PC didn't exist user creativity would be thrown out the window which is what makes games in quite a lot of ways, MW3 on pc was bad but it was good because the users made dedicated servers which wasn't allowed but hey the bad developers of the game made it easily hackable and doable!

cookiedude said:

... at a considerably higher cost ;) Also, that may be true with RTS and FPS but sport and driving games are much better suited to consoles. Keyboard and mouse are useless for playing these.

That is why you can use a gamepad on a PC and be done with this "uselessness".

i might actually buy the $100 one, ive got a gaming pc, always wanted to give xbox a try, but i wont buy a used one, and wont spend $200 for a new one, i'd rather buy a new ssd for that money

"....Now back to my real gaming platform with 2 x gtx 680s and 2 x 256gb SSD 2700k @ 5Ghz 16gb DDR3 and 2560 x 1600 res."

That's an impressive setup indeed.

What are the best looking PC games though?

Crysis 1 / Warhead
Witcher 2
Metro 2033
BF3

Now imagine how much better looking those games might have been if consoles had HD7870/ GTX670Ti in them? We need new consoles to help advance PC graphics. Look at SKYRIM, Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2. All of those games have standalone high-resolution texture packs because they had to be scaled back for consoles. That's not helping us PC gamers.

I am all about gaming on the PC, but your 680s in SLi are probably 20-25x faster than 7950GT in PS3. Well, our games on the PC barely look 2x better, if that.

Really, I'd even say since Crysis 1, PC graphics have barely moved. BF3's textures are actually very ugly to me (sandbags, terrain/grass/trees). The fact that we have 2-3GB GPUs with 10-20x the GPU power on the PC just shows how games aren't made for the PC from the ground-up. Most games today are coded for the lowest common denominator - outdated consoles.

If we had PS4 and next xbox here today, BF4 and Metro 2034 would look much better. Almost all PC gamers understand that faster consoles is better for the PC gaming industry.

Auth3ntic0,

When your wife lets you connect a giant desktop tower in the living room to a 60 inch Plasma to play racing / sports / action adventure games on the PC, let us know.

Also, it happens that racing games (Forza, GT5, PGR), all sports games, most action adventure games (Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, iNfamous) are simply better on consoles. And that's coming from a PC gamer. The stance that PC gamers take that console are for kids is really laughable.

When you want to play games with a group of friends (i.e., soccer while following Euro 2012 soccer this summer), you can invite them over, grab some pizza, chase beers with your boys, in the comfort of your living room, on nice leather couches. If you don't know what I am talking about, well then you should probably stick to PCs. Consoles are also a social gaming experience. Most PC gamers won't understand since most PC gamers are loners.

Back