Rumors: Windows 8 RC will launch June 1, will ship with Adobe Flash

Rick

Staff

Neowin reports that well-known Windows insider "Canouna" has tweeted the intended launch date for the official Release Preview (I.e. Release Candidate) of Windows 8. According to the source, the Windows 8 RC will be available on June 1. This latest morsel of information helps confirm earlier rumors that a preview version would be available during the first week of June.

Mind you, rumors are just that, rumors, but one thing remains certain; the imminent release of Windows 8 is closer than ever. Although the future will continue to remain uncertain for final retail editions of Windows 8, recent developments currently point to an October launch date.

In the tweet, Canouna boldly states, "#Microsoft‬ ‪#Windows8‬ Release Preview public download = 1st June".

In addition news of the upcoming preview, Canouna also tweeted that Windows 8 will be the first Windows OS to feature Adobe Flash pre-installed. This is an interesting departure from Microsoft's past practices, but one can't help but think they're a little late to the party -- Flash has been around since Windows 98. By the way, remember when it was a Macromedia property? Anyhow, fast forward to present day and HTML5 has begun to usurp Flash, at least for some content. 

Interestingly, for better or worse, Apple had already been bundling Flash with Mac OS for many years. The company stopped with Lion though, possibly due in part to concerns of security and Steve Jobs' apparent disdain for Flash. Will having Adobe Flash pre-installed also make Windows 8 inherently less secure?

Permalink to story.

OOh can't wait. I love playing around with this OS, all the new features and things to learn about.
It's as fun as trying different Linux distros. Is it a hobby where you basically try new distros/operating systems just for fun?

<p>OOh can't wait. I love playing around with this OS, all the new features and things to learn about.</p>
<p>It's as fun as trying different Linux distros. Is it a hobby where you basically try new distros/operating systems just for fun?</p>

Depends on who you ask that question... Some might classify it as a mental illness... :)

Does it have the usability disaster that is the metro interface with a mouse+keyboard setup?
That alone will ensure I don't touch Windows 8.

I'll probably on download it, run it on a virtual pc to see where they moved everything and then uninstall it. Usually I am all for moving into the future, but so far the future of windows doesn't look very attractive to me.

The only reason why I am going to test it is to know how to troubleshoot problems for other people if they bought it.

Now lets hope that windows 9 will be better, cause so far all the news of windows 8 has made me facepalm myself so many times, that my forehead hurts.

Waaa XP sucks, I'm sticking with 98
Waaa Vista sucks, I'm sticking with XP
Waaa Seven sucks, I'm sticking with XP
Waaa Eight sucks, I'm sticking with Seven.
Waaa X sucks, I'm sticking with X-1

@gwailo247, I agree, it is getting old.

I like how "Waaa Seven sucks, I'm sticking with Vista" was not included in the phrases.

@gwailo247: Windows XP did suck at first. It was resource heavy and bogged down many people's computers coming from Windows 98 SE. After the first service pack everything sort of leveled itself out. Now it is still a good OS to this day.

Windows Vista sucked as well, for the same reasons as XP but even more so, and it took until the second service pack to get things right.

No one said Windows 7 sucked, many people were skeptical after the Vista extravaganza, but the majority tried it and were left feeling like Microsoft finally made a decent OS to upgrade to from XP (should they choose to).

As for Windows 8, it has a lot to live up to, and the fact that it's introducing itself as a touchscreen OS, well it makes sense for lots of people to be disappointed.

I'm excited for Windows 8 for a new tablet, however I think I'll stay with Windows 7 for my desktop. The only incentive I have is that Windows 8 will better support new Intel technologies. So maybe I'll upgrade at some point in time but just remove all the metro crap.

Windows 8 has some nice new features however the big mistake is they have made it a touch centric OS. If you are a keyboard/mouse user (most computers) than you will have some challenges with Windows 8. Yes, you can learn, adapt and overcome these however isn't that what computers are supposed to do for us? The OS should make things easier and not make everyone adapt to it. So in this vain, you could say Windows 8 sucks.

I really doubt that 8 will garner the sales Ballmer thinks it will. Why? Because to do so it will require that businesses buy into it. However, the business world just got through with switching to 7. It is highly likely, as I see it, that the business world will deem it far too expensive to switch to 8. And thus, we will have yet another Me, 98, Vista release that will be widely panned as too expensive for what it offers.

It's a move in a different direction and will spur the sales of many new "touchscreen" PCs and tablets, thus new OS sales to go with them. I can agree that people don't want to buy a new monitor or PC to support the touch feature and will be against it, but I also have to laugh when my children, who are used to iPad and Android tablets already, try touching my PC monitor screen to do the same functions. Microsoft apparently is on to the young generation, whether us older parents like it or not. :p

"Microsoft apparently is on to the young generation, whether us older parents like it or not"

You got it. This is the new generation, and they are more mobile centric. Of course now that Windows8 is a reality, it won't be long before Apple or Google have to do something similar to close the gap between IOS and OSX, Gogle ChromeOS and android. Some people think to keep the classic desktop only, but allow metro apps to run akin to "sidebar" gadgets. Thing is, many people already hated the sidebar gadgets in Vista and 7.

I can say running metro apps and classic apps side by side is a unique experience.

Apple is already moving that direction, with Lion they created Mission Control to provide an iOS like launcher and they also made an App Store on the Mac for Snow Leopard and later. Mountain Lion will bring iOS and OS X even closer.

I think Apple and Microsoft just take the approach of "you'll get over it". Sure you can stay with an older OS, but eventually software won't run on it and hardware manufacturers will stop producing drivers for the 'legacy' OSes.

*yawns*

Something OEM's have been doing for years, not sure why this is even news tbh.

Side note: I love the haters that hate haters such an entertaining lot, I think the following qoute is the way to summarise those who hate haters and vice versa.

“I don’t dislike my haters, they dislike me. I’m doing nothing wrong, I’m just being me.”

Back