Run a dll as an App error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothvswill

i keep getting this error every time i try to enable my visual styles. Run a Dll as an App has encountered an error and needs to close. i really don't have a choice in the matter so i close it down. it only happens when i try to check the visual styles box or if i try to change my theme, come to think of it, i'm not even using the XP theme, i think it's the classic. any help would be greatly appreciated, idk too much about computers and i tried Regcure and everything else i looked up didn't help either. thanks everyone for reading my post and thanks to everyone who has some helpful input

Tell us more about what you mean by, "...enable my visual styles..." and "... run a Dll as an App has encountered an error..."
What is your motherboard, your video card, your operating system, and age of the system.

Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF)
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#...C_and_articles
http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file.

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When finished..

Hold down Microsoft (Flag key) and tap (Pause Break) key
Click Advanced - Performance - Settings. Under Visual effects click (my recommendation) Adjust for best performance. Then check only "Use visual Styles, Use Common tasks in Folders and Smooth edges of Screen Fonts. Save and exit.

The In Services confirm Themes is running!

Reboot retest!

Get back to us.

Mike

Be aware that Dial a Fix is NOT for everybody... Dial-a-fix (hereafter known as "DAF") is a bjunch of known and believed fixes taken from from Microsoft Knowledgebase articles, Microsoft MVPs, and other important support forums. Some are ancient. None are really supported except by what you can read at Microsoft.

Some people, particularly the inexperienced, are in more trouble after DAF than they were before.

There is plenty of information about DAF available on line with google and live searchs... just be sure you are ready to handle all the stuff it does... and that your computer is not too new for some of it.

DAF is good, but better for the experienced, than for the newby.

Tell us more about what you mean by, "...enable my visual styles..." and "... run a Dll as an App has encountered an error..."
What is your motherboard, your video card, your operating system, and age of the system.

I'm running windows XP SP3 and have a Dell Inspiron E1505, upgraded the mem to 2 gigs and have a 40 gig hard drive. sorry, idk the motherboard
as for the error, i go through this process to get the error, my computer, properties, advanced, performance settings, and the turn on "use visual styles on windows and buttons"

the error message says "Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

and the info it gives me about tech info is
"C:\DOCUME~1\WILL\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5927.dir00\rundll32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\WILL\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5927.dir00\appcompat.txt"

lastly, the error signature is
EventType : BEX P1 : rundll32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.5512 P3 : 480252d5
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 000cb34c
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008

But Not now! It should only be run after the below is clean.

Then why didn't you have the user check for this in the first place?! You launched into the DAL run with no caveats.

The information should have been requested before download and scan for it were given.

Well Mr. BOB if you will read the post you would see he added info I did not have in post #5.

And it would not really have hurt anything if he did run DAF first but then would just have to run again after clean!!!!!!!!

Mike

The point Mr. Flynn is that you should check before telling a user to run a program. You didn't have the information because you didn't do anything to request it. Having any user indescriminatly run programs is not a good practice.

Two members are telling you that having a user run DAL was not appropriate at that point- if at all.

Ok thank you all knowing wise one! So being I know you always ask the right questions

I know this tho, DAF is safe, is needed and if he returns and follows my post will run it!

I am trying to help sephirothvswill so will not engage with you more on this distraction!

Mike

ok here are my logs, and i really appreciate everyone helping me, if anyone did give me misinformation it's fine. i'm sure it was all with good intent and i do plan on running Dial-a-fix again, i ran into some errors and i don't have my Win XP Cd, but i'm going to find one lol, but agian thanks everyone and here's my log files, if there are any file i can remove that i don't need, please let me know and i plan on looking though the files and browsing online to se which ones i can get rid of

Great job!

Left Drag mouse and Copy for Pasting all text in the box below. Make sure the slider bar goes to bottom from the @ to the end of the second exit.
Then paste to the black screen of an open command prompt. All may not apply so ignore errors.

Code:
@echo off
sc config Alerter start= disabled
sc stop Alerter

sc config AeLookupSvc start= disabled
sc stop AeLookupSvc

sc config ClipBook start= disabled
sc stop ClipBook

sc config Dfs start= disabled
sc stop Dfs

sc config FastUserSwitchingCompatability start= disabled
sc stop FastUserSwitchingCompatability

sc config TrkWks start= disabled
sc stop TrkWks

sc config TrkSvr start= disabled
sc stop TrkSvr

sc config DNSCache start= disabled
sc stop DNSCache

sc config ERSvc start= disabled
sc stop ERSvc

sc config HidServ start= disabled
sc stop HidServ

sc config PolicyAgent start= disabled
sc stop PolicyAgent

sc config CiSvc start= disabled
sc stop CiSvc

sc config IsmServe start= disabled
sc stop IsmServ

sc config kdc start= disabled
sc stop kdc

sc config LicenseService start= disabled
sc stop LicenseService

sc config Messenger start= disabled
sc stop Messenger

sc config Netlogon start= disabled
sc stop Netlogon

sc config NetTcpPortSharing start= disabled
sc stop NetTcpPortSharing

sc config mnmsrvc start= disabled
sc stop mnmsrvc

sc config NetDDE start= disabled
sc stop NetDDE

sc config NetDDEdsdm start= disabled
sc stop NetDDEdsdm

sc config NtLmSsp start= disabled
sc stop NtLmSsp

sc config SysmonLog start= disabled
sc stop SysmonLog

sc config RSVP start= disabled
sc stop RSVP

sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
sc stop SSDPSRV

sc config upnphost start= disabled
sc stop upnphost

sc config WMPNetworkSvc start= disabled
sc stop WMPNetworkSvc

sc config WmiApSrv start= disabled
sc stop WmiApSrv

sc config WmdmPmSN start= disabled
sc stop WmdmPmSN

sc config RemoteRegistry start= disabled
sc stop RemoteRegistry

sc config RemoteAccess start= disabled
sc stop RemoteAccess

sc config SCardSvr start= disabled
sc stop SCardSvr

sc config TlnSvr start= disabled
sc stop TlnSvr

sc config UPS start= disabled
sc stop UPS

sc config WebClient start= disabled
sc stop WebClient

sc config DNSCache start= disabled
sc stop DNSCache

sc config JavaQuickStarterService start= disabled
sc stop JavaQuickStarterService
sc delete JavaQuickStarterService
attrib -h -s -r /s c:\jqs.*
del /f /q /s c:\jqs.*

sc config RpcSs start= Automatic
sc start RpcSs

sc config RpLocator start= Automatic
sc start RpcLocator

sc config MSIServer start= Automatic
sc start MSIServer
exit
exit

Run HJT select and Fix the below!
O2 - BHO: DAPIELoader Class - {FF6C3CF0-4B15-11D1-ABED-709549C10000} - (no file)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: identified as: - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic Updates (wuauserv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\

Minor but run SAS Quickscan and remove the Tracking cookies!

Because of a couple of the above..

Download ComboFix

Get it here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5587-combofix.html
Or here: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Double click combofix.exe follow the prompts.

Install Recovery Console if connected to the Internet!

When finished, it will open a log.
Attach the log and a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: Do not click combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

This should finish us up, but get me the logs!

Mike

omg finally, i was having so much trouble getting the combo fix to work, it rebooted my computer and then froze, any time it said a few seconds it meant like 10 minutes or more.

idk why it's so slow, my computer i mean. ok so here's the log files.

i'm guessing i'm almost done here, but the DAF still needs to be ran i suppose but every time i get to SSL/HTTP/Cryptography it freezes and if i skip it and go to Registration center it asks me for a disk or file location, but i don't have the Win XP cd and i can't find anyone who does

i'm pretty tired, but you guys are awesome and i really appreciate everything

It appears that all you really need is a reformat, reinstall, and a fresh download of all the drivers for that machine... your system is corrupt beyond repair.

No no format!

OK ComboFix found and removed a Trojan!

D/L and run http://majorgeeks.com/ViewpointKiller_d4929.html

D/L DrWeb Cureit: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cureit.html
Reboot to Safe Mode and run it after doing the below.

In Add/Remove uninstall Webroot Spysweeper (not a bad program can reinstall later but it may be corrupted now)!

I see evidence of 3 Virus scanners and 2 Firewalls what are you using?

After running Cureit in Safe Mode reboot back to Normal and disable your Virus scanner and run ComboFix again!

Post Combofix and Cureit log!

Mike

alright, it took 10 hours to scan in safe mode, but i'm tryin to get these done right, it's a long process, but here's the new logs.

also, i'm running avast, counter spy, super antispyware, zone alarm, and malware bytes

sephirothvswill, I'd like to stress the following:

You have 2 P2P (file sharing) programs:
"c:\program files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
c:\documents and settings\WILL\Application Data\LimeWire
plus
GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"29101:TCP"= 29101:TCP:???? ??
"47621:TCP"= 47621:TCP:UTORRENT
"47621:UDP"= 47621:UDP:UTORRENT

You have 3 Registry Cleaners Unless you're an advanced user, remove them all.
RegCure
Registry Easy
Registry Defense

You show processes from 4 antivirus programs: Use only one, remove the rest.
Avast
AVG
Symantec/Norton
Sunbelt (VIPRE anti-virus)

You have 3 Firewalls: Use only one- remove the others
ZoneAlarm
Symantec
Windows

Take this out of the Trusted Zone Security is less there- not good for a jukebox.

Verity if you have a homepage set to open as a blank page:
Start Page = about:blank

The system has got to be conflicted about which of these multiple program to use. And this doesn't include any malware. You either have a lot of uninstalling and resetting to do off the top-if it's even worth it-or you can do a reformat and reinstall and only install the correct programs.

10 hours! Geeze!

These logs look good!

I think you have it!

Boot back to Normal and rename ComboFix to 1cbf then run 1cbf and post the log!

Update and run Avast.

Mike

well i need some help here, avg and Norton aren't in add/remove programs, i hate Symantec, i can never remove it all. i actually had to download a product from them to take their antivirus off my computer, wtf is that all about? anyways, can you help me locate these files to get them off?

also, "Take this out of the Trusted Zone Security is less there- not good for a jukebox." what do you mean? can you explain it to me? sorry, i'm not that great with computers, but ask me to model a car in 3dsMax and i'm all good lol

OK that Log is OK. Good job!

Have been busy.

Have friends and relatives over for Dinner.

Will be back later this evening to post cleanup steps for those old Virus scanners etc!

After cleaning with all the other tools and removing several issues an Avast Scan may be successful now if not we need to reinstall Avast!

For now I think all you need to scan is the OS drive c:

Mike

ok that's nice, enjoy your dinner, i reinstalled avast anyways cause i was removing all the tools i didn't need. so far i had to reboot cause it found a virus in the memory so it's doing that now.

I did not mean to confuse you- perhaps Mike was going to do this later on. We do things differently.

In order to remove Norton completely, you should use the Norton Removal Tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

About the Trusted Zone: Here is the description of this zone from Microsoft:
Trusted Sites Zone
This zone contains Web sites that you trust as safe (such as Web sites that are on your organization's intranet or that come from established companies in whom you have confidence). When you add a Web site to the Trusted Sites zone, you believe that files you download or that you run from the Web site will not damage your computer or data. By default, there are no Web sites that are assigned to the Trusted Sites zone, and the security level is set to Low.

It would help you to read about the different zones for security settings:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360

The main thing to know is that any sites in the Trusted Zone are not subject to most of the security settings in your browser. No site actually needs to be put in the Trusted Zone, although you may get emails saying something like 'please put us in the Trusted Zone to be sure your get the newsletter' (or whatever). It's because these senders know the security is low and it's easier to get junk through to your system.

Music Match is a digital music player, at one time, incorporating the MMJukebox. There is no reason to allow any music match files on your system with less security. I have nothing in the Trusted Zone.

To change: For your safety.
Control Panel> Internet Options> Security tab> Trusted Zone> Sites> highlight and remove MusicMatch> Apply> OK.

Mike, please take a look at the # of bytes on the last Combofix log. He is adding bytes.

D/L RegSeeker http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

See this Link Q5 remove Norton, use in addition to above! [https://www.techspot.com/vb/post742832-6.html

Once the Q5 operation is finished run RegSeeker click Find in Registry and find and delete
1st norton
2nd symantec
3rd symevent

Then click Clean the Registry check all boxes and delete all found!

Last do a Windows disk search for
1st norton*.*
2nd syman*.*
3rd symeven*.*
Delete all found.

This is enough for one post so when finished....

Get back and we will do the others.

Mike

ok i finally got the scan completed, it had to run at boot up, and it found a ton of trojans, some of them dealing wit the rundll32.exe but i don't have a log file of them. so what so i need t do next? and i'll take mmjukebox off of the trusted sites now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back