TechSpot

Run as Admin.

By circusboy01
Jun 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Quick question. Hope this is the right forum. When you open a site by clicking run as admin, instead of open. Will it run as admin, for just that time or all times after that?

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,262   +541

Just for that one time, you need to allow it each time unless you change the permissions on it.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

You can right click on the icon of the program you desire, click properties, go over to the compatibility tab and check the box that says "run as administrator", then click ok/apply. You should be good to go.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

BTW: That is a huge security risk :( Anything accessed by your browser can then easily modify \windows\* files.

5. circusboy01

circusboy01 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 829   +11

So you're saying don't run anything as Administrator, unless you absolutely have to.

6. jobeard

Absolutely correct - - so that limits Admin to {install or configuration tasks} :)

7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

I only use "Run As Administrator" when it is a program that I trust, like Antivirus.

8. jobeard

Using UAC & when properly configured, the system prompts for Admin access whenever necessary - - I like that because I can then tell who is accessing what.
    For an A/V in the system tray, launching invokes UAC and I don't have to remember - - "oh yea, I need runas..."

Just my $0.02 :grin:

9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Sometimes you have to run as the Admin for certain things. UAC can be disabled or limited and also that can cause havoc on some on-board video chips sets since it dims the screen after so many times. In the old days you would create Power User account and leave the Admin account alone.

ballelee2010 likes this.
  10. circusboy01

circusboy01 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 829   +11

Actually the only time I choose Run as Admin, that I can think of , is when Spybot S&D tell me I have to in order to fix certain problems.

learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.