TechSpot

run external hard disk

By prashanthpr
May 5, 2006
  1. Iam using an external hard disk through usb to my laptop, i want to run operating system in the external hard disk which is having windows 2000 , my current system is having windows xp professional , when i try to boot with the external hard disk , it is unable to boot ,just showing windows 2000 screen and then hangs up, is there any change I should do to run it , please help me out.

2. prashanthpr

prashanthpr TS Rookie Topic Starter

how to run os in an external hard disk

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do something like that?

4. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

You have to edit the master boot HDD boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

In your case it should look like:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    I Think! You might have to play around with the rdisk(1 ) and disk(1). It would be like the above example if it has a slaved harddrive in a PC.

To edit the boot.ini: Start/Right click on My Computer/properties/advanced tab/start-up recovery/Settings/Edit.

Cheers.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.