Run System File Checker *without* WinXP install CD? (branded PC has no WinXP CD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run "sfc /scannow" *without* WinXP install CD? (branded PC has no WinXP CD) ...

I've run into several "branded" PC systems, that have no WinXP OS CDs (shame on the manufacturers!), and wondered if there is *any* way to run Systerm File Checker (sfc /scannow) on these systems, to check the system files...

Thanks!

wordsmith1776

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unfortunately I don`t think there`s much point in running the sfc because if it does find any errors it would just ask for the Windows cd, and since you don`t have one it`d be a pointless exercise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Re: running System File Checker w/out WinXP CD....just thought of something...

The computer is a HP 563W, that has the "restore" partition for Win. XP on the hard drive...is there a *chance* that the necessary files to have "sfc/ scannow" pick from to do System File Checker are there?

The ONLY other option is to do a non-destructive recovery of Win.XP, which HP *claims* will not destroy user-documents....

wordsmith1776

SFC assumes the original files are in the location stated in registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Setup \ SourcePath.

Re: running System File Checker w/out WinXP CD....just thought of something...

Ok but how do I tell "sfc /scannow" to look at the files in i386, on the Win XP Home PC (HP Pavilion 563w, that does NOT ship with a Windows XP Home Ed. CD; shame on HP!)? I'm also not in front of the HP 563w PC, so am not sure where the i386 folder is....

(HP Total Care <HP Pavilion E-mail Support [pavilion_support_en@mail.support.hp.com]> sent me the following e-mail in response to my above query):

<< Dear Richard,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand from your e-mail that you are unable to perform the "sfc /scannow" command.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

However, by way of information, you can still run this command without using the Windows XP CD. While running the "sfc /scannow" command if it prompts for the Windows XP CD for the path of the system files, please provide the following path:

"C:\I386"

This should resolve the issue. If you have any more queries, please feel free to write to us. We are always there to assist you.

Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

Ankur
HP Total Care

>>

Understandably, I wrote Ankur (evidently HP is using India as both call-center and e-mail center support--sigh...why don't they move Customer Care back to the United States? I won't hold my breath!) back for clarification, as he did NOT give me any idea of exact command to type in the "RUN" window, to get "sfc /scannow" to look at the i386 folder on the hard drive....

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Did you ever receive a response from anyone that would enable someone to sfc /scannow without a CD relying solely on the partition containing the backup application(s)? Is there a way to point to that partition that works?

Elaine

As I understand it when you run sfc /scannow if it doesn't find \i386 which is normally on C: then it asks where it can be found. With my Thinkpad this is on E:\, but there may be a problem if the partition is hidden.

Boots

I would contact HP...i'm sure they have the process documented. While you're at it ask them to ship you a new XP CD. They might be unwilling to but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

patio. ;)

Re: Running SFC /SCANNOW without Win. XP CD; finally a solution.

elainetm said:
Did you ever receive a response from anyone that would enable someone to sfc /scannow without a CD relying solely on the partition containing the backup application(s)? Is there a way to point to that partition that works?

Elaine

Elaine, I was directed by an HP Tech. to the updatexp.com site,
at http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html, for a lengthy
technical (!) solution to running sfc /scannow without the Windows XP CD.

It takes quite a while to read and understand, but it did work on the HP
PC I worked on :)

Richard
wordsmith1776@cox.net

Most manufacturers put the XP installation files inside a folder named I386. The location is unknown, since it varies so often, but you might find it on a seperate partition of the drive or even in the C:\Windows folder.

If you can burn the contents of this folder to a CD, then you may be able to substitute it for the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back