TechSpot

Running a linux server

By arieas
Aug 9, 2008
  1. I have a web script to test out. After much searching I tried to find a free web host just to test the script before further development. It requires cron, which a windows server does not support, from my understanding.
    I looked into setting my PC as a linux server instead, so I downloaded VMware to set up Ubuntu and try a server from that to test script and share the development folder between windows and linux.

Is it possible though to run a server in VMware (or other virtual pc) to be able to connect in windows, need to test in both IE and firefox eventually.

I did try set-up ubuntu on VMware, though GNOME fails to start and the cursor becomes unresponsive to both the VMware and in windows, requiring a restart of the system.

Does ubuntu have server software to run cron? I was told that's all that's needed.

I don't want to dual boot, not on my current PC anyway, but is there anything I can do to work with linux within, or with windows?
    I did get linux to work in MS virtual PC, so may try that again, was very slow though, suppose the extra RAM will make the difference however.

I could pay for hosting for cron to save time, but I just want to try it out, develop a little maybe, see if I find it interesting to work with, so paid hosting just does not seem worth it.

2. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

3. j4m32

j4m32 TS Rookie Posts: 49

Hello there,

Ubuntu and SuSE Linux both have a method of Installing on an NTFS Partition,
    if you're not prepared to install on a separate partition and star messing with the Hard Disk,
    but do want to give Dual Boot a try.

So if you have the free disk space you just select a Disk Size, it creates a file on the Disk, you partition it as you wish and a boot menu, and you're set ... off you go.

My personal preference is SuSE.
    Ubuntu does the job, but I don't find it as familiar as SuSE personally.

You also have the option of Damn Small Linux and running it within QEMU on Windows
    (50MB + Extra tools).
    It will take some editing of Files and stuff, but I think it might do what you want...

So long as you edit the starting Batch Script "dsl-vhd.bat" or the "1st-boot.bat",
    allow it to have about 256MB-512MB of RAM [ "-m 256" / "-m 512"].

Use the Hard Disk creation utility "quemu-img.exe" and use the "dsl-base" start up batch to use "mk2fs /dev/hda", maybe 1GB for a Hard Disk at maximum,

It also has NVidia / ATi Drivers, which DO make a small difference with Graphics Update speed...
    Means you can scroll a page in FireFox / Dillo / Opera,
    without huge frame latency and miss something...

You can actually get it to run surprising well for what you need, as I've recnetly done all this myself...

*Note*
    Windows NT base has a Task Scheduler Service with is meant to be the equivilant to UNIX Cron.
    I've never used it, but can supposedly be interacted with in a similar way to UNIX Cron.

Hope that enlightens your options [& minor knowledge].

Jim,

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

making this WAY TOO difficult;

download Apache2 for Windows; It install as you expect and runs fine even on my laptop.

re cron: NO webhosting company allows
    • long running processes
    • cron jobs

You need to consider WHY cron and how to perform tasks within the normal
    Client/Server paradigm

5. yes it is possible to do this through vmware. i did this at school. you just need to install vmware and create a network interface that is bridged. This means it shares the cable and is directly connected to the switch/router.

i used suse 10.3 as my webserver but ubuntu works as well as did fedora.
    I am sure most other distributions would work but i have not used them personally so can't say.

Sorry for mega late reply. i only joined today

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.