TechSpot

Rural Vermont gets gigabit fiber service, cheaper than Google Fiber

By Jesse
Apr 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Gigabit broadband proponents rejoice; another city in the US is online with gigabit fiber. But it gets even better. Vermont Telephone Co. (VTel) is offering the service to VT residents for only $35/month, half the price of the much lauded...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

Go Vermont!

3. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

Vermont, here I come!!

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,821   +922

You know, if you just judge this at face value, you have $94,000,000 in fed money, 1200 miles of cable, and 600 subscribers.

That's $156.000+ per customer...! @ $35.00 a month. With NO expenses additional incurred in service or maintenance costs, it will be paid off in about 371 years!:eek: That assumes none of the subscribers are cut off for nonpayment.......

(Yeah, yeah, I know pretty much whatever you're going to say).

Just remember statistics can be made to say anything you want, and are subject to change without notice....

5. "...that was originally installed in 1890."
    aka, "we have been rolling in the deep while sucking the blood of all the residents for over 100 year!"

“Google has really given us more encouragement,”
    aka, "if we hadn't started to finally invest back into the company, where's before all we did was leach everyone's hard earned money, Google would have come in at some point and taken over the market with better/faster service."

6. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

I'm loving this gigabit movement everyone is participating in. Before long it'll be the standard! I can't wait.

7. Heihachi1337

Heihachi1337 TS Rookie Posts: 46   +11

Bring this to Nevada! Your only competition is AT&T or Charter.

8. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Booster Posts: 269   +29

I hope we see more municipalities offer such services. You go Vermont!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.