Russian security firm cracks iOS 4's hardware encryption

By Matthew
May 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A Russian security firm has announced the first commercially available toolkit capable of cracking the encryption and passwords on Apple's latest mobile devices. ElcomSoft says its software can bypass the…

Read the whole story
  2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 537   +152

3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +93

The iphone is the perfect tracking device for government and citizens alike. The fact you can't remove the battery allows it to listen in any time. FBI have officially stated they have the ability to turn on your phone's microphone even when it's off since the 9-11 false flag attack.
  4. davin8r

davin8r TS Rookie

(rolls eyes)
  5. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 726   +224

So how long till someone makes a 1984 reference in this thread?
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Because of the Russian boycott of the Olympics?
  7. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

Yah he didn't do a good job trying to make this a tin foil hat thread.
  8. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,267   +101

Likely not the last time they crack some type of communications or technological circuit or whatever I dont know what I'm really talking about....
  9. BrianUMR

BrianUMR TS Rookie Posts: 44

They didn't crack the hardware encryption. They figured out most people use a 4 number pass code and it brute forces the pass code. With that logic you could say all encryption has been hacked if you have the time.
  10. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

It talked about one aspect the software can do, not all, in-case you missed that

FYI cryptography has gotten well pass the days of brute force being in issue
  11. It seems like every website, mobile device, game, etc. can and has been penetrated/hacked at some point or another...I also feel computer and network security is a bigger issue than it really 'should' be..uh oh, I'm playing the 'should' game..

Show me a device or breakthrough in security that yields computers, devices "unhackable" (if thats even possible) and I say theres something worth writing an article about.

LOL with everybody else at iphone govt. statement. Sure they can access the data if they need to (criminal investigation), but get real with thinking that somebody is sitting in an office tracking your every move..your probably not that important.
  12. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 265

They didn't break the encryption, they found ways to get around it. This isn't like someone figuring out the password to a vault, this is like someone turning intangible and walking through the door.
  13. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TS Enthusiast Posts: 217

yup, that about sums it up.
  14. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 443   +17

You win 2+ internets…
  15. Instead of replying to spydercanopus's comment with cheeky remarks, why don't any of you provide real facts that show he is wrong?
  16. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

That isn't how an argument works. If he presents something as fact HE needs to put evidence to back it up. Evidence has already supported claims against his, we don't need to provide jack ****.
  17. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 509   +35

This made me chuckle.