Safe GPU operating temperatures

Belvadier

What are the maximum safe operating temps for most GPUs?

Namely I am talking about the GTX460 1024 MB or the 560 Ti...

You'd think this information would be easy to find but I can't seem to.
I just want to know what is safe and what isn't to see if I have to adjust the cooling in my system to accommodate these cards...

thanks.

Hi Belvadier,
Both AMD and Nvidia list the max TDP of their GPU's as 105C. on average most cards will run @ 65-85C under load.

so is it still safe if they are running at around 100C? Or is that going to damage them in the long term? thanks so much!

technically yes, but remember the higher the temp the shorter the lifespan. If you have one running @ 100c, I would find a way to get the temp down.

sounds like you need to increase the fan speed to higher than default around 65% would be good.

sounds like you need to increase the fan speed to higher than default around 65% would be good.

Is there a good program to set the fan to automatically increase to like 100% or something if it reaches XX degrees etc. The nVidia control panel pretends that it lets you do it but in actuality it just doesn't seem to work...

I can manually set the speed to whatever I want but the automatic scaling never goes beyond 68% and if I'd like it to go beyond that and I make a custom rule to do so it just still doesn't work...

EDIT: MSI Afterburner works like a charm. I have it set to put fan speed to 100% after it reaches 70C and at full load this is keeping it at about 78C.

glad to see you got it worked out sorry my internet was down for a day and i couldnt respond.

Back