Safe way to backup data from infected computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a computer that has personal info with win32/heur virus. While trying to clean the computer (before I found this form) the flash drive I used to copy malware bytes to the computer became infected.

I am preparing to reformat and reinstall on the infected computer. I want to backup the data, but am afraid that the drives I use will become infected and reinfect the new install.

Is there a way to safely backup and restore my data?

Thanks,
BrantAud

What are you going to use to back up your data? If you use an external hard drive, move the data to it. Reformat and install the Operating Systerm on the computer. Install a good antivirus program and configure it to scan your external drive. When you know the data is clean, move it back to the newly cleaned computer

Do you have recommendations for a "good antivirus program?" This computer had AVG Free on it, I believe it was up-to-date, but am not sure (I don't personally use the computer, it is a friend's).

Thanks,
Brant

Avast free here:
Avast free

Be sure to register free. They will send you an email with the key. It is a bit of a nuisance to register. They say once a year, but it is more like every 90 days. Avast free is very good though

I'll add one more point:
> Before you reconnect the external disk to the new computer, disable Autoruns to assure the virus won't start when the device is first attached (just extra precaution)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back