Sager NP8130 random shut off

sadbluescreener

I was playing GTA 4 when the machine completely went blank. No shut down screen or anything of the sort. Now I'm here flabbergasted because that's never happened before and because I don't know where to start looking for the cause.

I checked the Event Viewer but I'm pretty much clueless there. Any suggestions?

Does it just randomly black out during gaming, or at any other time?

If it is only during gaming it is possibly due to overheating. Have you ever cleaned the inside of the PC?

Install this and watch the temperatures: CoreTemp

It's only done this this one time. Never any other kind of problems

I haven't cleaned it yet but I've only had it a month or so.

I have CoreTemp but I use HWMonitor and when gaming my temperatures usually go up to a max of 74 degrees. That shouldn't cause it to shut off.

My machine sometimes does that while gaming in the summer it's obviously due to heat issues (the processor has a built in safety feature that automatically shuts off the machine if it gets too hot). If I put external fans (like a regular fan) next to the case the problem goes away. When you try to turn on the laptop right after it goes blank does the power light blink and the computer make clicking sounds? If it does then your problem is with overheating, but it may have been just that one time. If the problem persists look into the cooling of your laptop and make sure it's away from anything hot, and try adding a cooling fan to it. If the problem doesn't persist don't look much into it, some coincidence may have just happened to make your processor overheat that one time.

my temperatures usually go up to a max of 74 degrees.

If that is the max temp for either your CPU or GPU it shouldn't be switching off the monitor. As this has been a one off incident all you can do is monitor it and if it then happens again I could instruct you to run some stress tests which should give us a clue as to the cause.

As this is a very new machine it should not happen and certainly won't be due to dirt building up on the heatsink. I think I would have to say, return it under the warranty if the problem does repeat.

That temperature is the max for my GPU (GTX 560M). My CPU (i7-2670) has a max of 69 degrees. I'll continue watching out for it. It has me very concerned. Thank you.

According to the specs for the GPU the max safe temp is 99ºC and your CPU is 100ºC.

As I said at the temperature readings you are getting it should not be switching off.

You could have a look in your Bios and see if there is a shutdown setting for the CPU temp. Very unlikely it is set too low on a new machine but may be worth a look.

When the temperature does go high do you hear the fan running faster?

Back