Saints Row developer Volition shuts down after 30 years thanks to a $2 billion deal gone...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
End of an era: If you play video games, chances are you've heard of a little studio called Volition. The development team started as Parallax Software in 1993 and had a groundbreaking hit with its first game, Descent, in 1995. It would create one of its most famous IPs, Saints Row, in 2006. The series was known for its dark humor and risqué style. Fans will mourn the loss of the studio as it shut down operations today. RIP Volition.

Saints Row developer Volition is no more. On Thursday, the studio announced that its parent firm, Embracer Group, has shuttered the developer "effective immediately." The closure comes after Embracer revealed restructuring plans in June.

"This past June, Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the video game industry," a spokesperson for the studio wrote. "As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition effective immediately."

Volition promised help affected employees with job placement.

The restructuring plans came after a $2 billion investment deal fell through. While holding company Embracer never revealed who it was in talks with, Axios claimed the angel investor was Savvy Games Group, the gaming division of Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund. Unable to raise funding, Embarcer revealed a restructuring plan that included tightening its budget, pausing the development of some games while canceling others, and divesting or closing some of its holdings.

Unfortunately, it appears that Volition was first on the chopping block, which is too bad. The studio has been producing games since the early 1990s. While it is probably most famous for the Saints Row franchise, it was also responsible for well-received titles Summoner, Red Faction, and their sequels.

Volition's first game was 1995's Descent, released on MS-DOS, PlayStation, Mac, and RISC OS. The studio was known as Parallax Software then, and Descent was the first truly 3D game that offered six degrees of movement. The game was popular enough to spawn several sequels, including a spiritual successor launched in 2018 called Overload. It gained recent attention when game design students in the Netherlands added ray-tracing support to the classic shooter, breathing new life back into the nearly 30-year-old title.

Volition's latest game was the 2022 Saints Row reboot. The title was met with controversy almost immediately after its reveal. The studio had decided to take the franchise in a different direction, which had fans divided. Critical reception was equally polarized, earning mediocre reviews from critics, low scores from players, and a review bomb on Metacritic.

Last November, Enbracer CEO Lars Wingfors announced that Volition would merge with Gearbox Software due to Saints Row's "disappointing reception," despite the game meeting financial expectations. The merging was intended to give Volition the tools it needed to create a better "player experience."

"The reception of Saints Row did not meet the full expectations and left the fanbase partially polarized," Wingfors said. "The game development studio, Volition, has been working hard to improve the player experience. Going forward, Volition will transition to become part of Gearbox which has all the tools, including an experienced management team in the US, to create future success at Volition."

Whether the transition occurred and now Gearbox is shedding Volition or the merging never completed is unclear. All that is for sure is that Volition is no longer with us but will be remembered for its decades of contributions to gaming.

Permalink to story.

Saints Row games are fun on one hand but on the other hand are disgusting . I dont have the last one though but not eager to get it . its graphics in no way differs from the previous one . There are a lot of games similar to Saints Row but with better graphics and not so disgusting .

Saints Row games are fun on one hand but on the other hand are disgusting . I dont have the last one though but not eager to get it . its graphics in no way differs from the previous one . There are a lot of games similar to Saints Row but with better graphics and not so disgusting .
The departure from crude and vulgar content was one of the reasons people turned on the latest Saints Row game. As usual, when a company tries to dictate morality to us, they inevitably fail and lose a ton of money

Last edited:
point2.png

Sorry for employees who just wanted to haver a job. Not sorry for obnoxious progressive, fan hating minority who destroyed even a small chance of making something decent as their last project.
I understand, sometimes games just do not do well, not special, not unique etc.
But what do you call a t*rd that was a t*rd in design, announced as a t*rd and released being one smelly t*rd?
I am telling you, these people created a new religion. It is made of partially politics, progressive believes and worshiping trends. And those who have a chronic need of reassurance and validation are the best candidates to become the members of this cult.
They are like locusts, invading a field, destroying anything then move on.

Last game was so **** it was probably the worst game of the year. Too bad, I really liked SR3 and even 4. First two games are what made them but they're quite old and poorly optimized.

Considering the most recent game that their management pushed and tried to play off as Saints Row, Volition was just a shell of it's former self.

The last good game they made was Saints Row 3(2011) & after that it all went down the hill.
Played 2, it was good. Played 3, it was great. Played 4, not as good as 2 & 3, but still entertaining enough.

This last entry looked like garbage and from what folks were saying about it, turns out it was. Glad I talked my brother out of spending money on it because he wanted to pick up two copies for us to play co-op like the good old days of SR2/3/4.

For me the game lost its identity when it introduced aliens and superpowers, they use to compete with GTA, I guess the reboot was their last chance to do something great, but the game never properly evolved after SR2...

Had so much fun playing SR3 in co-op during college days. I think it's one of the best from the series. lan coop is the best thing about those games, and I remember you can do lan coop at least in SR3 and SR4.

"The studio had decided to take the franchise in a different direction, which had fans divided."

More like completely departed from the spirit of the original and continue sticking their thumb in the fans' eyes even when they were given early feedback that it wasn't going to be a successful title.

I've seen this happen several times in my career - once, the vulture that took over died. IMO, this is SOP for a company to buy out another, then close it down after it ingests all the existing IP from the company it bought out.

However, given the link to a Saudi company, I have to wonder whether the politics of religion played a role in this, or is that just a stupid question?

Back