Same BSOD daily, no minidump

Phat Andrew

Oct, 4th EDIT -- I have taken out my bad harddrive yet the BSOD's continue. I just got a BSOD with 0x0124 error which usually means hardware, but everything hardware wise has been tested. I got a mini dump and am wondering if it says anything to anyone who can make sense of it... is it drivers, should I just do a fresh install? I still get the random freezes and right click nonsense which makes me still think its an explorer problem.

I just recently build this computer and since the beginning I get the same BSOD that does the exact same thing every time other then when it randomly happens. My computer first freezes for about 5 seconds then goes into the BSOD. The error code is a 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA800A911B30, 0xFFFFFA800A911E10, 0xFFFFF80002D83880). When the BSOD attempts a memory dump it never even begins and after about 20 seconds it just restarts. The minidump folder is empty, and BlueScreenView doesnt even show a BSOD happened.

After the BSOD restarts, my computer can never boot back into windows. It always says that a drive with an OS is not recognized and I have to completely kill the power to the computer (through flipping the switch on the power supply, not just turning it off) and only then does it boot back into windows.

I've searched around and the 0x000000f4 seems to a problem for several different things such as memory, HDD, video cards etc etc.

Everything is at stock clocks other then graphics card but problems still persists whether its overclocked or not.

I've checked the disks for errors.
I've tested the memory with mem test and no errors have come back.
I've reset the CMOS battery.
I've reseated the RAM.

My system specs are:

Motherboard: P8P67 (pro rev3.1)
CPU: I7-2600K Sandy Bridge
Video Card: GTX285
RAM: 8gb DDR3 Gskill (2gb stick each slot)
SSD: OCZ Vertex3 (Windows 7 64bit)
HDD: WD Cavier black 1TB

Other Info:
It does tend to happen when firefox is open, but it also happens when its not. Firefox randomly freezes a lot, so I don't know if its not co operating with 64bit or possibly a memory leak as firefox is heavy on resources, but I never had these problems when I was on 32bit.

Attachments

• 100411-10046-01.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
Bsod

I have been getting these since the first day the machine was put together. So I dont think I am getting them due to a recent change or anything.

When i run a disk cleanup there is over 500MB of system error memory dump files, but no mini dump files, because whenever the BSOD hits, it never actually dumps, it just freezes at the BSOD (I've let it sit in the BSOD over an hour too see if the dump would even start)

Update FF to version 6. Version 5 was a nightmare with a serious memory leak issue. Have you run memtest on your RAM?

*** By the way, I live very close to the Jersey Shore and will probably be leaving either late tonight or early Saturday morning so if you don't hear from me from Saturday on I am not ignoring you it is that I will be without power for some time.

I have tried FF 5 6 and even now im on the 7 Beta. I have no idea if its FF causing it or not, it just so happens that its always open when i get a BSOD ( cant confirm 100% though) Memtest ran, and everything went well. Its the SAME BSOD all the time though too. If i could get a minidump, i would zip it, and hopefully people would see what the problem is, but it doesn't even generate a dump process. And it is set up to generate a dump.

Question Answering

I am running on Windows 7 64bit, I switched my SSD from marvel to sata, and the BSOD's have stopped, but now it appears that my explorer is crashing every so often, and it hangs for 30ish seconds and then recovers, or it doesnt and i have power down and power back up. So now its either a BSOD on marvel or explorer crashing when im going through intel sata connection... unbelievable.

You are not the first person to have issues with Marvel. Good work on your part. Attach the five most recent minidump files that are the result of Explorer crashing.

Answer

I have no mini dump from what i think is explorer crashing. My computer just locks up whatever windows is open, and thats about it. I have dual screens, and when it locks up i go to right click on the other one and nothing... so that is what leads me to believe its explorer. Sometimes both screens just go black with the mouse only visible, and i have to power down and power back up. And without fail every time i power back up, and go to open fire fox, explorer has to crash and then everything is fine until it happens again.

My WD Black Cavier was having some problems, but a chkdsk fixed that and its now actually running faster then before, but when i boot up my computer it says that the S.M.A.R.T. is failing and suggest a back up. Though chkdsk fixed whatever, it still says that and i have to go into bios and force boot to my SSD (which it should as its the only one in boot priories)

Back up everything NOW. The get WD's own harddrive utility Lifeguard and run all tests especially the long one.

Finally A Mini Dump

I finally got some mini dump, but they were 0x124's and here are the zips. I have a feeling these are not due to my original problem, but probably the WD. Anyone have anythoughts, explorere still freezes and hangs then recovers, and now im getting these BSOD's.

Attachments

• 090311-8720-01.zip
    30.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 090311-8892-01.zip
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
Both errors are 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dumps simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, harddrive, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* Did you back up everything? Did you run Lifeguard?

Answer

The lifeguard is running now. Everything on the computer is new, so its not over heating; after market cooler, always keep an eye on my temps. But the WD had come up with errors before, and the WD lifeguard said the smart status failed, so im pretty sure its that. I'm more concerned about explorer constantly crashing though, nothing on the external means much to me, just music, videos, and games, can get them all back easily. But explorer, it crashes without a doubt on a fresh boot, and then randomly throughout the day.

Could the WD be the cause of the explorer problem though? My SSD is what my OS, and only critical other programs, everything else was put on the WD 1TB. Kinda why I got it, so I didn't bog down my SSD with everything, and you only really want important applications on the SSD.

At this point, would it be easier to just deal with the fresh install on the SSD, and wipe the WD Caviar Black, and just start over and hope it was a bad install from the new build?

Harddrive errors are a physical thing. Also, do research on your SSD. A number of makes and models have experienced issues.

Again, if Lifeguard is showing errors it is due to the physical drive itself. There may be other reasons why IE is crashing but right now - if I am reading you correctly - the WD diagnostic utility is showing physical problems with the harddrive itself.

update

Alright, I've come to the conclusion that the Black cavier is bad/faulty and already contacted newegg for a replacement. Suddenly though I am back to the 0x0f4 BSOD

About 10 minutes ago, my explorer froze as usual and a BSOD came up with 0x00000f4. It went to go create the dump and this time i got a..."physical memory dump FAILEd with status 0xc0000010"

I have no mini dump to zip as it failed... any ideas on whats gone wrong this time?
I'm really hoping that its this faulty Black Cavier drive, and not my SSD or RAM. RAM has been tested and no errors.

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message.

One of those causes can be a faulty harddrive. I've seen it before with this error code. Again, the WD Lifeguard utility is reporting errors so I think you should be safe in determining the harddrive is the culprit.

Back