Samsung: 2GB LPDDR3 RAM, 128GB memory enter mass production

By Shawn Knight
Sep 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has started mass production of what they claim is the first 2GB LPDDR3 DRAM chip for mobile applications just 10 months after mass production started on DDR2 memory. The milestone marks the first time a 2GB LPDDR3 density chip...

Read more
  2. I see no need for 2GB of RAM for phones right now or the immediate future . I mean my mum's computer is running with 2GB of DDR2 and a Phenom II X2 545 on Vista x64 perfectly fine and fast.
  3. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 373   +73

I guess it's more of, once 2GB is available then developers will find ways to take advantage of it. I think the biggest advantage is that more apps can be left in memory for better and faster app switching/multitasking.
    spydercanopus likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,223   +322

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has 2GB of RAM already. I wonder, if that's the new 1-chip memory or the old 2-chip setup...
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

2GB RAM, 128GB SSD and a fast CPU... all on a single tiny System on a Chip. Amazing.
  6. "Samsung expects the increased throughput to be immediately evident as the new chips exceed support for full HD video playback. This will allow real-time viewing of high-quality video without having to download the content first."

Can someone explain this to me? Surel'y memory isn't the limiting factor for HD playback? Isn't there a smart phone out there at the moment that supports streaming of HD video?
  7. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Newcomer, in training Posts: 60

We already had 2gig chips. They were the older DDR2 modules though, the new RAM talked about int this article is DDR3 at 1600
  8. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,223   +322

I gather as much. But I wondered if the new memory is what ends up Galaxy Note 2...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.