Samsung 830 Series SSD Review

Hmm I wonder if the drivers/software could be the culprit of the average performance on some of the tests? Also I think I prefer the Vertex 3 when you take performance per dollar into account.

I have one of the very first generation SSDs from Samsung (the ones with the brushed metal look) and I absolutely love it.

Served me very well for the past couple years, but its 120GB is running low and these new drives definitely look like a worthy successor.

I'd much rather buy from a large company like Samsung that makes everything in-house than a far smaller company like OCZ or Corsair (they probably use Samsung components anyway).

Large SSDs are usually faster than smaller ones due to memory chips working in parallel - so comparing 512 GB drive to 128-300 GB ones isn't really a fair comparison.

I get ~560/520 MB/s max read/write in the ATTO (default) benchmark with my Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD. That's on a P8P67 motherboard, with a i7-2600K CPU and 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 memory. So, that 240GB version doesn't seem to perform very well in these graphs for some reason.

Yeah, that's right. That was at 1024-8192 sizes. I didn't notice the graphs stopped at 128. :p

There absolutely needs to be an addendum to this test.

Crucial released firmware 009 over a month ago. The m4 128gb now reads at over 500 sequential and almost 300mb in the 4k-64thrd marks in as-ssd.

Anyone taking the time to do a review should be making sure that all drives are updated to the latest firmware. That is the only way to give the end user a fair assessment.

Would this drive work as a replacement of a HDD in a Dell laptop? Any comments appreciated.

Back