TechSpot

Samsung announces HomeSync, dual-core Android-powered TV box

By Shawn Knight
Feb 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung introduced a new Android-powered set-top box during Mobile World Congress this week. It’s an unlikely event to showcase a television box but that didn’t stop the Korean electronics giant from unveiling the HomeSync box.

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

Sell at 100$ and I'm in. :)

it will probably sell at the sweet spot of 179$-199$

3. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +12

I agree, especially since the Ouya will release in a few months and that thing packs a tegra 3 (quad-core), runs XMBC out the box, and doubles as an indie game console with controller included. It'll only cost $100.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,715   +89

Pricing might be higher with these features $299. Buzz words dual core CPU, like a small HTPC, or something in that sorts.

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Unless it can stream from DLNA and network shares from other OS's, and can only stream from Galaxy devices, I'd say this is a novelty device and will sell pretty cheap. $149 max.

6. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Member Posts: 83   +12

Can it stream Crysis though? lol. Jk.

I would like to know if it can stream MKV though. And whether it has cinavia. <-- deal breaker. My 2 cents.

spydercanopus likes this.
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,715   +89

SONY SNP-N100 and N200 does OS shares pretty good I use that here over the network. N200 is better because it handle media formats that N100 didn't. The cost of these boxes are under $50 on peak sales and off peak sales $60 to $70. I got them in every room, kitchen and outdoor patio. This one from Samsung is based on Cloud tech and I don't see high hopes for that one. I rather host my own files from my end then let someone else to it on their end.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

I would imagine they include Cinavia DRM since they're Sony products, however.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.