TechSpot

Samsung announces HomeSync, dual-core Android-powered TV box

By Shawn Knight
Feb 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung introduced a new Android-powered set-top box during Mobile World Congress this week. It’s an unlikely event to showcase a television box but that didn’t stop the Korean electronics giant from unveiling the HomeSync box.

Read more

2. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

Sell at 100$ and I'm in. :)

it will probably sell at the sweet spot of 179$-199$

3. penn919

penn919 TS Booster Posts: 178   +19

I agree, especially since the Ouya will release in a few months and that thing packs a tegra 3 (quad-core), runs XMBC out the box, and doubles as an indie game console with controller included. It'll only cost $100.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +106

Pricing might be higher with these features $299. Buzz words dual core CPU, like a small HTPC, or something in that sorts.

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 813   +93

Unless it can stream from DLNA and network shares from other OS's, and can only stream from Galaxy devices, I'd say this is a novelty device and will sell pretty cheap. $149 max.

6. likedamaster

likedamaster TS Enthusiast Posts: 86   +12

Can it stream Crysis though? lol. Jk.

I would like to know if it can stream MKV though. And whether it has cinavia. <-- deal breaker. My 2 cents.

spydercanopus likes this.
  7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,392   +106

SONY SNP-N100 and N200 does OS shares pretty good I use that here over the network. N200 is better because it handle media formats that N100 didn't. The cost of these boxes are under $50 on peak sales and off peak sales $60 to $70. I got them in every room, kitchen and outdoor patio. This one from Samsung is based on Cloud tech and I don't see high hopes for that one. I rather host my own files from my end then let someone else to it on their end.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 813   +93

I would imagine they include Cinavia DRM since they're Sony products, however.