TechSpot

Samsung announces Series 5, refreshes Series 9 ultraportables

By Matthew
Jan 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. With Ultrabooks dominating headlines during this year's CES, Samsung is feeling pressure to distinguish its thin-and-light offerings from Intel's new ultraportable family. The Korean manufacturer contests that its second-generation Series…

Read the whole story

2. according to the 33,000 hour's it took to make this, they spent OVER 3 and a half years on it....
    i dont think ultra books were even in the cards that long ago

3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,074   +84 Staff Member

I think they're talking about the collective manhours of their R&D team but I could be wrong.

4. I'm the first post

heres my reply

"As noted, the difference boils down to craftsmanship, according to Samsung. The company's development team spent over 33,000 hours creating the new Series 9, which is 37% thinner and nearly half a pound lighter than its predecessor"

it seems they spent 33k hours on this NEW series 9 alone O_O
    im starting to think maybe they ment 3k hours? sounds for reasonable

5. Recycle

Recycle TS Rookie Posts: 53

Collective man-hours makes much more sense.
    Assuming a 40hr week and, say, 30 people on the dev team, that boils down to 27.5 weeks, roughly half a year, so that sounds about reasonable.

6. DO WANT. That is one slick machine if I ever saw one.

7. Hey, I'm just a 63 year-old lady, so don't beat up on me, but I wonder if you guys are newborn wet-behind-the-ears. Ultraportables have come and gone in one form or another by many different companies since the 1980's.

Look up HP Jornada for one. It had Word, Excel, Ppt, and more. It weighed less than a pound, with a 7" screen. I still have a brand new one in the box, wish I could give it to some museum, if they wanted it and I could find one. I know farmers in England who ran their entire businesses on them.
    One I had, an MSI (iirc???) was used to death (perfectly working, just beat-up looking), and was used by all the train conductors on the Dutch Train Lines.

I've had so many can't remember them all. Apple developed one of the first, green screen, stylus, then abandoned it, and others came up with varying models.

Sorry, I can't go back through my memory with details, but dig around, they were there.
    Oh, and then there were the ultra-lights you had to order from Japan more than ten years back, I used to drool over those, 2-5 thousand bucks, one to two pounds.

Seems the future of tech has always been a stumbling, rocky, and winding road, but always moving forward.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.