TechSpot

Samsung announces Series 9 Premium ultrabook for $1,400

By Jos
Apr 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has added a premium variant to its Series 9 ultrabook lineup that packs a full HD (1920 x 1080) matte display and Core i7 processor for $1,399. The 13.3-inch machine is viewed as a competitor to the MacBook Air,...

Read more

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 739   +249

I suppose the big question for Samsungs new ultrabook is this; How quickly and easily could you install a larger SSD and Windows 7? If the answer is; Two minutes and fifteen minutes, respectively, then we could certainly have a winner here.

3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

If this was $999, then I would open up my wallet. At this price point, I would rather get a Mac.

4. Yes, hopefully it can be upgraded to Windows 7.

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 814   +93

I just got a Series 9 for $900 on the egg a few weeks ago. It's the same thickness, but instead of the 13" it has a 15" 1080p (non-touch) screen, the 128gb ssd, 4gb ram and an i5 instead of an i7. I have to say I was impressed at the build quality and thin-ness. The trackpad is hard to right-click with.. but other than that it's pretty amazing.

The bottom comes off easily to replace the msata drive. And Start8 installs quickly. The computer boots to desktop in about 5 seconds from power off.

6. It's getting old, these comments about "upgrading" to Windows 7 and such. Any power or enthusiast user who hasn't taken then 30 minutes to figure out how to be productive using Windows 8 needs to be demoted to technoob. Download the free Start Menu 8 and your experience will be exactly the same as Windows 7, plus you get all of the great enhancements that Windows 8 delivers.

Stop whining about change. You sound like a Republican.

7. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

Guest above me - you rock!

Windows 8 is awesome. Pokki Start menu is also a really good, really polished piece of software. I would recommend it!

My 1 issue with this laptop is - 1400dorrar for something with 4GB of ram? u kidding me? my current 5 year old laptop has 4 gig of ram. Firefox or Chrome chows that in just a few tabs.

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,906   +954

absolute concentrated win

9. It's getting old, these comments about "upgrading" to Windows 7 and such. Any power or enthusiast user who hasn't taken then 30 minutes to figure out how to be productive using Windows 8 needs to be demoted to technoob. Download the free Start Menu 8 and your experience will be exactly the same as Windows 7, plus you get all of the great enhancements that Windows 8 delivers.

Stop whining about change. You sound like a Republican.

I wouldn't say its exactly the same. My experience with it was that newly installed programs would not create shortcuts in the start menu. Also what great enhancements? The start screen is a pos plain a simple.. tablet or not. Boot time faster? not really, once you get all your programs installed it's hardly any different.