TechSpot

Samsung begins mass-production of enterprise DDR4 memory

By Scorpus
Aug 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has begun mass production of the "industry's most advanced" DDR4 memory, destined for the next-generation of enterprise servers and data centers. The company is touting their DRAM as being the highest performing yet, while also reducing power consumption significantly...

Read more

2. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Awesome.... can't wait for Haswell-E!

3. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

"The 4-gigabit chips Samsung are producing, which use 20nm-class technology, will eventually make its way into 16 GB and 32 GB memory modules."

a desktop computer with 2x32gb ddr4 memory modules makes me drool.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

1.2 volts? Awesome!!!

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

We all want the latest and greatest tech on our desks but if you sit down & think about, what we have now is more than sufficient apart from SATA 6B/s for the foreseeable future but hey, you can't can't slow down the evolution of technology.

6. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 846   +11

Man I haven't even got my computer caught up to DDR3

misor, havok585 and ikesmasher like this.
  7. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

Ha ha hah :)

8. Darth Shiv

Haswell-E with quad channel mem, [edit] 4 slots... how's 4x32GB do for you? [/edit]

EDIT: Correction! Quad channel with DDR4 can only have 4 memory slots - they changed the architecture to point to point so one channel per dimm.

9. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

then I need to have myself committed to a (mental) hospital since I'll be drooling all over the floor.:)

edit:
    then I need to have myself committed to a (mental) hospital since I'll STILL be drooling all over the floor with even a 'measly' 4x32gb ddr4.:D

10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

System with Quad core 2.5GHz with DDR2 800MHz vs Quad Core 3.4/3.7GHz Turbo with DDR3 1600MHz. Under WEI RAM shows DDR2 coming in at 7.3 and WEI shows DDR3 coming in at 7.2. What's DDR4 going to give for WEI 7.1?

11. Darth Shiv

WEI is just a guide. It doesn't really provide solid benchmarking data.

DDR4 gives much lower power consumption and higher clock rate. Haven't looked into it but I imagine it has higher latency but much higher throughput (traditionally the case). I.e. initial time to pull data from mem is slow but once it's going, it will smash DDR3 and DDR2 in total achievable bandwidth.

misor likes this.

12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,686   +86

Yes it's a guide true, but under my own testing just slight difference in speed. DDR4, DDR5, DDR6 etc. Still everyone seeks the fastest memory, fastest cpu etc.. DDR2 and DDR3 will do it for me until DDR6 or DDR8 flies off the factory line into our hands. I am no rush to get DDR4.

13. Darth Shiv

Yes I'd definitely wait for real-world benefits and bang for buck before jumping on the DDR4 bandwagon. It's going to be very expensive next to DDR3 at launch. Not expecting earth shattering gains either.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.