Samsung begins mass-production of enterprise DDR4 memory

Scorpus

Staff member

samsung ddr4 memory enterprise ram servers sdram

Samsung has begun mass production of the "industry's most advanced" DDR4 memory, destined for the next-generation of enterprise servers and data centers. The company is touting their DRAM as being the highest performing yet, while also reducing power consumption significantly compared to DDR3 RAM.

The 4-gigabit chips Samsung are producing, which use 20nm-class technology, will eventually make its way into 16 GB and 32 GB memory modules. The chips are expected to deliver a data transmission rate of 2.667 gigabits per second, which is 1.25x the speed achieved with 20nm-class DDR3 RAM.

In late 2012, JEDEC finalized the DDR4 specification, which promised more performance, reliablity and efficiency compared to current DDR3 modules. DDR4 DRAM will be capable of 1.6 GT/s (gigatransfers per second) to 3.2 GT/s per pin, while running at a lower 1.2 volts, down from the 1.5 volts required for DDR3 memory.

Samsung hasn't specified when their DDR4 RAM modules will be available to purchase, or how much they'll cost, but the company claims that through using their 4 Gb DDR4 chip, they've developed "industry's largest lineup of products tailored to applications from servers to mobile devices".

Earlier this year, a leaked Intel Xeon roadmap stated that DDR4 support would come to servers sometime in 2014 with 'Haswell-E' processors. Intel's 'Haswell-E' processors might also bring DDR4 support to desktop systems in the second half of 2014, as might 'Broadwell' around the same time, but Intel has yet to confirm support for the technology in any of their products.

Permalink to story.

"The 4-gigabit chips Samsung are producing, which use 20nm-class technology, will eventually make its way into 16 GB and 32 GB memory modules."

a desktop computer with 2x32gb ddr4 memory modules makes me drool.

We all want the latest and greatest tech on our desks but if you sit down & think about, what we have now is more than sufficient apart from SATA 6B/s for the foreseeable future but hey, you can't can't slow down the evolution of technology.

"The 4-gigabit chips Samsung are producing, which use 20nm-class technology, will eventually make its way into 16 GB and 32 GB memory modules."

a desktop computer with 2x32gb ddr4 memory modules makes me drool.
Haswell-E with quad channel mem, [edit] 4 slots... how's 4x32GB do for you? [/edit]

EDIT: Correction! Quad channel with DDR4 can only have 4 memory slots - they changed the architecture to point to point so one channel per dimm.

Haswell-E with quad channel mem, 8 slots... how's 8x32GB do for you?
then I need to have myself committed to a (mental) hospital since I'll be drooling all over the floor.:)

edit:
then I need to have myself committed to a (mental) hospital since I'll STILL be drooling all over the floor with even a 'measly' 4x32gb ddr4.:D

System with Quad core 2.5GHz with DDR2 800MHz vs Quad Core 3.4/3.7GHz Turbo with DDR3 1600MHz. Under WEI RAM shows DDR2 coming in at 7.3 and WEI shows DDR3 coming in at 7.2. What's DDR4 going to give for WEI 7.1?

System with Quad core 2.5GHz with DDR2 800MHz vs Quad Core 3.4/3.7GHz Turbo with DDR3 1600MHz. Under WEI RAM shows DDR2 coming in at 7.3 and WEI shows DDR3 coming in at 7.2. What's DDR4 going to give for WEI 7.1?
WEI is just a guide. It doesn't really provide solid benchmarking data.

DDR4 gives much lower power consumption and higher clock rate. Haven't looked into it but I imagine it has higher latency but much higher throughput (traditionally the case). I.e. initial time to pull data from mem is slow but once it's going, it will smash DDR3 and DDR2 in total achievable bandwidth.

WEI is just a guide. It doesn't really provide solid benchmarking data.

DDR4 gives much lower power consumption and higher clock rate. Haven't looked into it but I imagine it has higher latency but much higher throughput (traditionally the case). I.e. initial time to pull data from mem is slow but once it's going, it will smash DDR3 and DDR2 in total achievable bandwidth.

Yes it's a guide true, but under my own testing just slight difference in speed. DDR4, DDR5, DDR6 etc. Still everyone seeks the fastest memory, fastest cpu etc.. DDR2 and DDR3 will do it for me until DDR6 or DDR8 flies off the factory line into our hands. I am no rush to get DDR4.

Yes I'd definitely wait for real-world benefits and bang for buck before jumping on the DDR4 bandwagon. It's going to be very expensive next to DDR3 at launch. Not expecting earth shattering gains either.

Back