Samsung Chromebox specs, pricing leaked via TigerDirect listing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung first showed off their Chromebox minicomputer earlier this year at CES but details were sparse at the time. Thanks to an early listing that leaked on TigerDirect, we now know several more details including the target price point: $329.99.

The Chromebox is essentially a desktop version of the Chromebook. It measures in at roughly 7.5-inches square and looks somewhat like a Mac Mini. Inside is a dual-core 1.9GHz Celeron B840 processor with 2MB of L3 cache, 4GB of DDR3 memory, Wi-Fi, Intel HD graphics and a 16GB solid state drive. SlashGear notes that the unit from CES also included a DVI port, Ethernet jack, dual DisplayPort connectors, a headphone jack, power jack and six USB ports.

samsung chromebox samsung chromebox

Notably missing from the TigerDirect listing is the promised wireless keyboard and mouse combo. It’s entirely possible that it was either left out of the promo or will be available as an optional accessory.

The SSD option is an interesting one as most manufacturers elect to include a slower albeit higher capacity hard drive in media-centric systems. I for one like the flash storage option as it will be much faster than a spinning drive and odds are, the majority of media will come streaming via cloud services anyway.

At $330, the Chromebox is a little on the pricy side considering the hardware within. The saving grace could be the speedy flash storage, however. TigerDirect has since pulled the product listing so odds are, we will have to wait until next month’s Google I/O conference for more details.

Permalink to story.

I would really buy such a device, but only one powered by AMD.Should be a lot cheaper and with better graphics.

Back