TechSpot

Samsung clinches $240 million order for iPad displays

By Matthew
Mar 25, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsung has scored a contract for a large order of Apple iPad displays, according to an unnamed industry source. The deal, reportedly worth $240 million, calls for Samsung to produce some three million LCD panels for Apple's new tablet, a "high-ranking industry representative" told The Korea Times.

Read the whole story
  2. hebertdan

hebertdan TS Rookie

I am pretty sure there is something really wrong with this report:

If the deal just went through, In less then a week time Apple will put on sale its Wi-Fi iPad in the US...three weeks later it's 3G iPad in the US.... a month later the iPads will be available for a lot more countries....
    With sales expectation of 10 millions iPad for 2010!!! Either this deal was made back in January or February or Apple has other retailers or it won't be able to meet the demands!!!

You don't make 1 or 3 millions 9,7 inch screens in a week...Apple is going to put over 1 million iPad on the market in 9 days including assembling, packaging, delivery to each Apple store and pre-order customers....
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,062   +84 Staff Member

Hebertdan, Samsung is not the sole supplier.
  4. hebertdan

hebertdan TS Rookie

I know but only two providers can built such an amount of those screens (In Plane Switching (IPS)) LG (Hitachi) and Samsung...

LG already has a closed signed contract with Apple until 2014 for LCD and OLED screens not IPS

LG, Sharp and Sanyo are already on contract for the iPhone, iPod Touch iPod Nano, iMac and MacBook screen...

It doesn't leave much possibilities!!
  5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,062   +84 Staff Member

From the sourced Korea Times article:

6. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

That part right there made me laugh. I know it doesn't matter to Samsung if they like the iPad or not, as long as they get paid. But made me laugh still. :D
  7. ludoboss

ludoboss TS Rookie Posts: 18

Sorry? iPad display is more than 2 time iPhone display... its near 4x time so... 5x price isn't so bad considering its a new obj and not a 3rd generation model...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.