Samsung confirms Exynos 4 Quad for Galaxy S3 smartphone

Leeky

Following on from releasing a Galaxy S3 teaser at the beginning of the week, South Korean electronics giant Samsung has announced that their Exynos 4 quad-core mobile chip will power the now-imminent Galaxy S3 smartphone, bringing an end to speculations as to whether the new range topping handset would pack a dual-core or quad-core chip.

A spokesperson speaking to CNet, commented that the debut device featuring the new chip will be the Galaxy S3. "Already in production, the Exynos 4 Quad is scheduled to be adopted first into Samsung's next Galaxy smartphone that will officially be announced in May," referring to their Unpacked 2012 Galaxy themed product launch in London next week.

The new chip will run at 1.4GHz per core and is based on the ARM Cortex A9 design, using the 32nm High-k Metal Gate technology, also including power management, per-core dynamic voltage control, and frequency scaling. The end result is a chip that delivers twice the performance of the previous generation 45nm processors with a 20 percent reduction in power consumption.

samsung 4ghz exynos quad galaxy s3

"Samsung's next Galaxy device, which will be officially announced soon, offers uncompromised performance and ground breaking multi-tasking features," according to Hankil Yoon, senior VP of product strategy.

The Galaxy S2's successor was always destined to feature a powerhouse of a chip, but the recently released HTC One X has certainly increased doubts about the effect quad-core SoC solutions have on handset battery life. Samsung hopes that the chip's ability to scale down each core individually,  alongside per-core dynamic voltage and frequency scaling will help reduce battery consumption when the device is idle or in standby.

The chip will be capable of playing back almost any media format in full 1080p HD at 30fps, as well as featuring an embedded image signal processor interface for its camera and HDMI output. The new quad-core SoC is also capable of providing "console-like 3D gaming on-the-go" according to Samsung.

OEM partners will be pleased to hear that the new Exynos 4 Quad is pin for pin compatible with existing Exynos dual-core SoC's, enabling them to release more powerful devices to the market based on their current designs.

Permalink to story.

the recently released HTC One X has certainly increased doubts about the effect quad-core SoC solutions have on handset battery life.

Screen and the battery are also big factors. Samsung likes big screens, but maybe they'll make up for it with a huge battery like the iPad 3 or the Droid Razr Maxx.

Quad core in a 4.6 inch sized tiny device. E-peen FTW!!!

How about a dual core smartphone with 3 day battery life? Or perhaps investing $ into high quality materials, instead of looking like a cheap piece of black plastic?

Just because plastic is cheap doesn't mean it's not high quality. Plastic won't scratch as easily as metal, and it doesn't dent like metal. It won't shatter like glass either, although that situation only occurs on two devices. Regardless, the mentality that plastic is somehow an inferior choice of material is just ridiculous. Hell even HTC moved away from metal because it conducts too much heat and suffers from easy scratches. Their 2011 devices were mostly plastic on the back, some like the Incredible S were entirely plastic. Their 2012 One series uses ceramic.

Perception and reality are different things. You might think your lil 3.5" glass device is high quality, but wait till it suffers any drop from a height of more than 10 inches onto a hard surface. My original Galaxy S has been used and abused for over 2 years and it's still kickin it.

I for one will be first in line to pick one of these babies up as soon as it hits Canadian shores.

Perception and reality are different things. You might think your lil 3.5" glass device is high quality, but wait till it suffers any drop from a height of more than 10 inches onto a hard surface. My original Galaxy S has been used and abused for over 2 years and it's still kickin it.

I for one will be first in line to pick one of these babies up as soon as it hits Canadian shores.

Same with me bro. My i9000 is still working great after two years of abuse. Just a couple scuffs around the bezel. I don't really use it any more, but it did its time and it never shattered, dented or scratched on the back or the screen.

Well, for me, I prefer plastic casing of Samsung because it is super durable as the same time making the device lighter.

Just because I feel that a phone made of glass isn't as week as everyone makes it out to be I will put up a counter argument based on personal use of my iPhone 4 S.

I am 6 foot 2 and dropped my iPhone several times, hell ive got videos of friends litterally drop kicking it out of my hands and the phone is barely scratched. I have dropped it out of my car several times and all sorts, I myself, as shocked that the phone has not smashed.

Just because I feel that a phone made of glass isn't as week as everyone makes it out to be I will put up a counter argument based on personal use of my iPhone 4 S.

I am 6 foot 2 and dropped my iPhone several times, hell ive got videos of friends litterally drop kicking it out of my hands and the phone is barely scratched. I have dropped it out of my car several times and all sorts, I myself, as shocked that the phone has not smashed.

I've had my S2 since July last year, dropped it at least 4 times and accidentally threw my PS3 pad at the screen (literally straight at the middle) and there's not a blemish on it. In the same time at least 5 of our project managers have managed to completely smash their iPhone screens just by dropping them. Whilst I am very surprised my phone remains undamaged I am not surprised about the iPhones, having exposed glass edges is just not a sensible design choice for a portable device IMHO.

having exposed glass edges is just not a sensible design choice for a portable device IMHO.

I've got my iPhone in front of me and i really really can't see any exposed glass edges?
I've got the white one and the entire edging to covered by white plastic?

Although I agree that they are definitely more damageable than the Samsung, But still, I really have punished this iPhone and I just don't know how people break them so easily? I don't have a case on it or anything so unless people are literally throwing them full force to the ground from the top of a roof or something, I'm really confused how people manage it.

Lets just hope the next iPhone is a little more durable...

having exposed glass edges is just not a sensible design choice for a portable device IMHO.

I've got my iPhone in front of me and i really really can't see any exposed glass edges?

Although I agree that they are definitely more damageable than the Samsung, But still, I really have punished this iPhone and I just don't know how people break them so easily? I don't have a case on it or anything so unless people are literally throwing them full force to the ground from the top of a roof or something, I'm really confused how people manage it.

Lets just hope the next iPhone is a little more durable...

Which iPhone do you have? The 4 and 4S have exposed glass sitting atop the plastic on the front and back of the device.

I'm guessing you don't have an iPhone 4(s)? The 4's have a metal surround and the glass edges protrude above this (as Princeton so kindly pointed out). I should've specified that I was referring to the 4 specifically though :grin:

Back