Samsung confirms May 3 launch event, Galaxy S3 unveiling highly likely

Leeky

Samsung looks set to launch the Galaxy S3 smartphone at an event titled "come and meet the next Galaxy" on May 3 in London, bringing an end to months of speculation and waiting for the new handsets arrival.

The South Korean phone maker has not officially confirmed that the event will play host to the unveiling of the massively popular Galaxy S2 replacement, but they did say that the blue and white paint themed invites are genuine, and London will play host to the launch of a new product on May 3.

Given the products announced at CES and the Mobile World Congress it is unlikely to be anything other than the Samsung Galaxy S3's launch, but it also remains entirely possible we'll see a completely new product.

samsung galaxy s3 london

"The successor to the Galaxy S2 smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product," an official spokesperson replied to PC Advisor when quizzed about the Galaxy S3's absence from this year's Mobile World Congress.

Details on the upcoming handset are rather scarce, though various rumors pin the new handsets specification to include a 4.6" or 4.7" Super AMOLED HD plus touchscreen display and it's also possible we'll see wireless charging appear on the new model. It's suggested the display will feature a resolution of 720x1280, and a "retina-like" pixel density of 319ppi, though as with all rumors it could turn out to be inaccurate.

On the processor front, it is very likely the Galaxy S3 will be paired with a Samsung-made Exynos 4212 1.8GHz dual-core CPU, 2GB of RAM, at least 16GB of internal storage, a 12MP rear-facing camera combined with a 2MP front facing camera for video calling and the latest 4G LTE connectivity, alongside Google's latest Android OS, Ice Cream Sandwich.

There is no doubt Samsung has enjoyed almost unrivaled success with the Galaxy S2 smartphone, and should the rumored specifications turn out correct it's likely the world's biggest phone maker will release what will become another very popular handset.

Permalink to story.

When is this release cycle going to reach critical mass and create customer fatigue? Personally, I'm happy with the once-per-year release, but it keeps getting shorter. I realize smartphones are hitting their stride, and you have to respond to trends (which the short release cycle lets you do) but you can't tell me at this point that Samsung doesn't already know the specs of their S4. @1.8 quad-core and 2GB of RAM, we are well past what any smartphone actually needs. So I guess displays and battery life and cameras are next?

Raswan, +infinity on battery life! \o/

I want to be ACTIVELY using my smartphone (with all it's features) and have a battery life of 3+ days MINIMUM! :)

I agree, too fast.

Waiting for the Nexus II personally.

Why would the Nexus have only a 5mp cam when the S2 has an 8? Only reason holding me back from getting that now.

Now if it had that with a horizontal sliding qwerty (vertical makes phones too top-heavy) that would be super-pimp

The Exynos 4212 is a dual-core SoC not quad as mentioned in the article.

The as-of-yet-unannounced Exynos 4412 is, however, rumored to be a quad-core SoC (which I personally doubt will be released any time soon).

Also, the 4212 is the only new SoC announced by Sammy.

They are not releasing too fast. They are simply following Moore's law and advancements in technology. As time moves on, chips get smaller, and larger/more complex at a similar price. So a single core becomes dual and then quad, etc. Or a dual-core becomes 2x faster in clock/instructions per clock, etc.

You guys forget that people skip generational upgrades too. For example, in Canada we have 3 year contracts. So a lot of people will be upgrading from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 5 or from Samsung Galaxy S1 to S3.

I think there are 2 different arguments at play here:

1) People who always want the latest and greatest are upset about having a phone that's no longer top of the line < 12 months later;

2) People who think phone are just getting higher specs but the fundamental usability on them isn't improving.

3) The focus on the improvements isn't targeting what consumers may want (i.e., choosing more performance over longer battery life, etc.)

- The 1st point can be fixed by simply skipping 1-2 generations.
- The 2nd point is true since it applies to almost everything in life. Very rarely do we get fundamental changes in how our world operates (Internet, smartphone revolution, HDTVs, etc.)
- The 3rd point. It's much harder to improve battery life than to put in a 2x faster CPU, 2x faster GPU, a nicer screen and market a new product as much improved. This is because the way batteries operate hasn't changed much in the last 5 years. We won't see a major innovation in terms of battery life until there is a revolution in batteries.

There is probably an emotional factor at play too. Most people can easily afford to have the latest phone, but not everyone can afford to have a nice car, a nice house, etc. A phone is one of those things if you have an old one, everyone will comment on it. Marketing has won over since for the most part nothing has changed about the phone since iPhone first arrived.

I'll be first in line on the day it launches here in Canada. I've been holding off too long on upgrading.

Myself, I'm going to wear the same scruffy jeans I always do, hold off on the turtleneck, and continue to run my mouth on the land line, erstwhile avoiding using any superlatives whatsoever! Particularly Jobsian power speak like, "all other phones will bow before this one" By God I enjoy dissing new cell phone launches. Tablet launches too....

samsung has risen the fire of smartphone market , the new one must rquipped the next generation function , looking forward it .....

Back