TechSpot

Samsung designs AMOLED display that can be folded 100,000 times

By Emil
May 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung researchers in South Korea have designed and built a prototype of a seamless foldable Active-matrix organic light-emitting diode (AMOLED) display. The display's mechanical and optical robustness were tested by…

Read the whole story

2. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 368   +52

Just think... a phone that can fold out to a tablet. Thanks for the very interesting article.

3. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

Hmm... interesting. We've all been dreaming of folding display panels for years, maybe someday we'll actually get one?

4. Modeazy

Modeazy TS Rookie Posts: 27

Wow.Sometimes I worry:what will we leave for future generations to achieve?

5. freythman

freythman TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go.

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Make an e book reader that you can hold like an actual book by using each screen for a page.

7. "Time travel. Teleportation. We have a long way to go."

World peace, no more hungry people, justice, no more killing, people don't using time travel or teleportation to kick somebody else ***?, we hace a looooong way to go.

8. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Time Travel cannot exist and they have already created working teleportation , albeit on a very small scale. They have already created an invisible cloak and levitated a tiny piece of gold, again, on very basic and/or small scale but the technology is still there in its infant form.

How about they sort out global warming...

9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

People in 2050 will pick out their watches, pop them open - out comes a crumbled piece of cellphone. They shake it once, it unfolds to the size of a tablet, wow - the future is near ;)

Based on Nikola Tesla's work in the fields of electromagnetism, scientists have also levitated several ferromagnetic objects ranging from metal bowling-balls to a package of yoghurt.

10. mpsteel

mpsteel TS Rookie Posts: 16

You should really say, traveling back in time cannot exist. Traveling into the future is possible, Albert Einstein theory of relativity proves this.

A very promising hardware development neither the less.

11. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

You won't be alive when they make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

;_;

12. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

They won't make spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

13. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

Not at the rate they're going, lol. We're just taking steps backwards, it seems.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,823   +922

I never knew that yogurt was ferromagnetic

15. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

Now awaiting Nintendo to jump on this technology for next gen "Game & Watch".

16. "How about they sort out global warming..."

I read somewhere that they have a possible solution already.

17. Silly gizmos that make you think less. Why exercise your memory when you have all the info you need with you, right ? I'm not the alarmist type, but a time will come when the "information age" that's supposed to help us will be our downfall.

Am I the only one that misses live concerts where people would sway their lighters and not put up their cells to take a shot ?

18. Yeah, go to Pulto get a chunk of ice and drop it in the ocean, job sorted.

19. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 958   +49

Cellphones, tablets? Come on people, I'm thinking of ePaper, as in a screen the size of a normal piece of paper, and about as thick as a piece of posterboard or construction paper that is self powering and pulls its display via wifi/NFC, etc.

Guest@4:49 AM: Or worse yet, they have a lighter app on their phones to "simulate" having a lighter... Where's the fun in that? =/

20. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Haha, that's a good one!

Oh, wait. You were serious...

21. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Yeah, I know.

It's like those *****s in the middle ages who thought men couldn't fly.

Oh wait...

22. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Time travel into the future happens constantly... GPS sattelites are adjusted for it, and astronauts aboard the IIS age about 30seconds less over the course of a few months than they would have if they had stayed on earth. Regarding into the past... to quote stephen hawking... "I've never met anyone from the future'. (cause it's impossible)

How about something useful, like fusion. Or something that really improves my quality of life like something to make my morning commute obsolete.

23. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,635   +321

Fusion is 10 years away.

24. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,337   +103

Hey I'll comment just to make a snide comment...

Oh wait...

Dont be smart arses please. Technology is flying at exponential incresing speed.

25. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

[Sarcasm]Really innovating, magnificent, amazing, cool and great, but it needs a stapler :([/Sarcasm]

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.