Samsung expected to unveil Galaxy S IV on March 14

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Last month we heard rumors that the Galaxy S IV would be launching on April 15 and that we could expect to see an announcement sometime in March during one of the company’s Mobile Unpacked events. That intelligence still looks solid as we are now hearing that Samsung is planning to unveil their next flagship smartphone on March 14.

Eldar Murtazin from Mobile-review published a tweet earlier today saying there would be a big announcement on March 14. The message also suggested that HTC will again miss out on sales of their HTC One series device like they did in 2012. Shortly after, SamMobile and The Verge both confirmed that March 14 is most certainly the day we will see the Galaxy S IV debut.

HTC is hosting a media event in New York City tomorrow where most expect the company to introduce the HTC One. A debut next month from Samsung would come just a few weeks after this month’s Mobile World Congress – a move that could give them more media attention at a time when many might have already forgotten what was unveiled weeks earlier.

We have nothing solid to go on in terms of specifications as Samsung is keeping the new handset under close watch but at least one publication suggests we will see a 5-inch device with a 1,920 x 1,080 display powered by an unnamed quad-core processor with 2GB of system memory on tap. Others, however, believe we could see an ARM-based processor with no fewer than eight cores clocked at up to 2GHz.

Permalink to story.

A new phone every year? Isn't this what Android fans used to criticize and ridicule?
I feel like they should wait till 2014, especially since Apple is rumored to release a 5S with just a new CPU and a few enhancements like the 4S. This will kill the iPhone 6 if it were released in 2014 since they will be able to maybe implement the flexible display and such. Plus they will have a few months before the iPhone 6 (September)

I think before the issue was there was very little change between releases. People attributed this to the short window of development.

The S editions on the iPhone are a good example of this; very little change.

I think Samsung has done a good job implementing features that have an actual value proposition between the S2 and the S3. I personally think they should wait a little more and cook something up that's even better, but if the feature jump is as high or highdr as the S3, I think they'll be OK. We all know it'll sell anyway.

Perosnally I'm going to wait for the next Nexus this year. I said that last year, but I hope Google picks a better OEM this time around.

I think before the issue was there was very little change between releases. People attributed this to the short window of development.

The S editions on the iPhone are a good example of this; very little change.

I think Samsung has done a good job implementing features that have an actual value proposition between the S2 and the S3. I personally think they should wait a little more and cook something up that's even better, but if the feature jump is as high or highdr as the S3, I think they'll be OK. We all know it'll sell anyway.

Perosnally I'm going to wait for the next Nexus this year. I said that last year, but I hope Google picks a better OEM this time around.
Yeah they should go back to Samsung and ditch LG. I wonder if Samsung will kill S-voice since there is now Google Now

A new phone every year? Isn't this what Android fans used to criticize and ridicule?
Upgrade for upgrade sake yes... I am an SGS fan but don't feel compelled by the marketing machine to upgrade just cause... the S4 is a decent upgrade on my S2. The S3 wasn't quite enough for me but there weren't a hundred zealots telling me I had to upgrade.

Look, im a performance junky, but who in the world needs a quad core or an eight core phone? let alone your average smartphone user? I mean seriously.

I believe Android (like apple) has done all it can do with current tech... everyone always said apple wasn't bring anything new to the table anymore. Now that driod is caught up, it too can not bring anything ground breaking or magical to new releases. So just like PC's that had no where to go, they just through on more ram, speed, cores even though most can't use it. For now, smartphones have come to a crawl, who knows when anything else can be added... guess glasses will be the new thing.
Look, im a performance junky, but who in the world needs a quad core or an eight core phone? let alone your average smartphone user? I mean seriously.

Well it is really a dual quad-core. It uses the low power quad-core CPU for easy tasks and the high power quad-core CPU for more strenuous tasks (not sure if they combine into 8 cores during really demanding tasks). I wanna see its effect on battery though. That is what is really keeping the tech sector from adopting an all quad-core fleet since they use more power.

To the me the S3 just felt like an S2 HD except with terrible colors and built quality. Maybe the S4 will be good enough to warrant an upgrade. Otherwise the S2 is arguable still as good as any of the new phones.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my Samsung U900 if it's all the same and keep using my phone as a phone. When I want a tablet that's getting replaced every six months, then I'll go for the S series. Or maybe a concussion...

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my Samsung U900 if it's all the same and keep using my phone as a phone. When I want a tablet that's getting replaced every six months, then I'll go for the S series. Or maybe a concussion...
Although I have a SGSIII I still prefer to use my Samsung feature phone (no idea what model) because I use a phone for what it's supposed to be used for, making/receiving calls & messages, not much else but to be honest in the year I've had the SGSIII it's capabilities has come in handy on the odd occasion but it hasn't really convinced me. The only reason I have a smartphone is because of my contract. That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing the SIV when it's released.

Wow, nice high-end smartphone.

...but the next samsung budget/feature phones are rumored to be samsung rex, java-powered and not android-powered...

Well it is really a dual quad-core. It uses the low power quad-core CPU for easy tasks and the high power quad-core CPU for more strenuous tasks (not sure if they combine into 8 cores during really demanding tasks). I wanna see its effect on battery though. That is what is really keeping the tech sector from adopting an all quad-core fleet since they use more power.
More demanding tasks? Since when is texting or temple run or fruit ninja demanding. less than 1 percent of smartphone users might have a use for that processing power, maybe. Itd be best to leave the same processor in there (which, btw, is still overkill) and kick up the battery life dramatically.

ikesmasher look into Ubuntu for android... people are now successfully running their work computer on their phone. they're actually quite impressive. Seeing as the way Micro$oft has been going and the locked down environment of CrApple Linux has been booming. I personally support 3 businesses that have moved to Ubuntu. If these phones are really as good as the specs say they are then I know 3 businesses that will buy ~50 of these each and ditch all their old PC's and feature phones.

As a phone the power is useless, but as a multidevice hub its perfect

The smartphone industry (as most of the hi-tech industry) moves far too quickly but in a way it's a good thing because it delivers sophisticated and expensive technologies (among other things) at an even better price. For most people still using a SGSII or even an older SGS for example, it'll be more than "good enough" for some time yet but you'll always get those people who have to have the latest & greatest (not just tech) no matter the cost. Those are they people (mostly with more money than brains) we should thank which drives technology and innovation, that and the fierce competition.

ikesmasher look into Ubuntu for android... people are now successfully running their work computer on their phone. they're actually quite impressive. Seeing as the way Micro$oft has been going and the locked down environment of CrApple Linux has been booming. I personally support 3 businesses that have moved to Ubuntu. If these phones are really as good as the specs say they are then I know 3 businesses that will buy ~50 of these each and ditch all their old PC's and feature phones.

As a phone the power is useless, but as a multidevice hub its perfect
Droid already has the Splashtop 2 HD app that can be used to remotely control their work computer. The Splashtop THD Gamepad app allows my xbox controller to be used on my tablet with HD audio/video streaming so I can play Battlefield 3 from campus using my desktop for processing if I really wanted to. This sort of thing isn't exactly new. I know iOS has the Splashtop 2 app, but it is a severely dumbed-down version of the Droid app.

ghasmanjr

what im talking about is having your entire desktop for work and everything with you on your phone. Just plug it into the dock and youre done. All your pictures, documents, emails, etc. Ubuntu on S4 + Google Apps = perfect office unless you have stuff that is winonly, then tinkering must be done cough wine cough

Back