Samsung fires back at Apple with patent infringement lawsuit

Jos

In a classic tit-for-tat move that should surprise absolutely no one, Samsung Electronics has struck back at Apple with lawsuits in three countries alleging infringement of patents on smartphone technologies. "Samsung is responding actively to the legal action taken against us in order to protect our intellectual property and to ensure our continued innovation and growth in the mobile communications business," the company said in a statement.

It was less than a week ago that Apple sued the Korean manufacturer alleging its Galaxy line of smartphones and tablet computers copy Apple's popular iPad and iPhone. The lawsuit didn't point to specific trademarks or patents, but says the way Samsung has marketed and packaged its phone and tablet products are too similar to Apple's products, and that rather than innovate they just blatantly copied their technology, user interface and style.

Interestingly, Samsung doesn't seem to be challenging those claims directly, instead shifting the attention to a bunch of patents that Apple is allegedly infringing. The filing mentions 10 patents concerning reducing data transmission errors in WCDMA mobile networks, tethering mobile phones to PCs and use the phone's wireless data connection, and reducing power consumption when transmitting data over HSPA networks.

We'll have to wait and see where this goes but in the meantime Samsung and Apple will continue to do a lot of business together. Apple bought nearly $6 billion worth of Samsung components for its iPhone, iPad and iPod products last year, and according to COO Tim Cook's recent comments, this should not affect their ongoing business relationship.

Permalink to story.

Could anyone tell me where Samsung's "...continued innovation..." is that they referr to?
Whether or not the Galaxy is directly copying Apple, it definitely is not innovative in my mind.

Vegasplaya said:
Could anyone tell me where Samsung's "...continued innovation..." is that they referr to?
Whether or not the Galaxy is directly copying Apple, it definitely is not innovative <b><u>in my mind.</u></b>

Key words here.

Lmao @ key words. Samsumg does a lot in the pc world that goes ignored by the *****ech. I'd laugh if samsung cancelled contracts with apple, but in the end its about money so I doubt their ego is that large.

"should not affect their ongoing business relationship" LOL.

Samsung: "What does this part do?"
Apple: "Nothing, just build it."
S: "I need to know what it does before I build it"
A: "Just build it."
S: "Tell me what it does first"
A: "So you can copy it?"
S: "Go to hell"
A: "You go to hell"
Fistfight ensues.

At least we know that Samsung and Apple are managed by cry baby's, but Apple is more of a d*ck and Samsung is more than a guy trying to be "the cool kid" >_>

"Hey your device is rectangle too! im suing you" "hey your device uses something similar to our patent so we are backfiring"

Come on. It's not that Samsung is a crybaby. It's the usual way of copyright war.
Apple sues Samsung because they can (probably trying to extort some money).
Samsung believe they've done nothing wrong and have to protect themselves, so they file a countersuit with some patents they have that Apple have violated,
The two companies make up, settle a fee, and all is well again.
This is simply how the US copyright system works. It's also the only way to win it and keep yourself from becoming bankrupt.

Vegasplaya said:
Whether or not the Galaxy is directly copying Apple, it definitely is not innovative in my mind.

You're right, Samsung are obviously not innovating anything. I mean, it's not like companies are coming to them for innovative and critical components to actually build their precious cell phones. Oh wait, they ARE? Huh, guess maybe there's some innovation in there after all, which you'd see once you take off the Apple blinders? :)

I usually care less about legal battles, but this time I REALLY hope Samsung wins.

(quote):I usually care less about legal battles, but this time I REALLY hope Samsung wins.

hell yeah, IMOE apple sells substandard and overpriced hardware that is so crippled by DRM that it becomes utterly usless as anything other than a POS marketing tool.
everyone must have noticed how most of their "apps" are just to sell you more stuff.

Does anyone really think they would still be around if they didn't spend MASSIVE ammounts of money on marketing. In almost every tv show/movie they go to great lengths to show the apple logo on everyones phone/computer/craptop etc.
IMOE pc's tend to have 2-3x the power at 1/2 the $RRP$
The undenyable fact is that Good products will more or less sell themselves.

lol at the ******. you dont see samsung using apple's parts for their phones do you? that hilarious apple complaining about "stealing" ideas when they're practically giving their ideas over to them LOL
btw. anyone notice how when an iphone comes out, its usually at least 6 months outdated compared to the phones out in america... and about a year out dated compared to phones in asia? i think thats laughable. whats even more laughable are the ****** that buy the outdated technology for ridiculous prices and are happy with it just because its an iphone >.> iphone 4's "innovative" multitasking? lolol my phone's 2 years old and its been capable of running 70 programs at a time... wuts iphone at? 12? xD oh and apple STILL refuses to add flash to their cameras... when will people realize iphone is basically marketing? and all you're paying for is the brand name --; if anyone pulls a stupid argument about "better market" try out android's market. they take the 10% of the apps from apple that people actually use. and puts them in the market :) pft i recently saw a video about some guys putting android on their iphone. even the users are running away from its awful simple os. only people i know that wants iOS.... probably symbian users LOL

Back