Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 to cost $399, lands in U.S. April 11

Rick

Samsung announced today its Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet will land in the United States this Thursday. The 16GB Wi-Fi-only model will cost $399 and is slated to be available at major retail outlets like Staples and Best Buy, as well as Internet stores including Newegg, TigerDirect and Amazon.

The Jelly Bean-based tablet, which has already seen its United Kingdom debut, is likely Samsung's response to the popularity of Apple's iPad Mini and Google's Nexus 7 which run $329 and $199, respectively. The device isn't cheap by comparison, but the tablet does promise an extra inch of real-estate without fully encroaching on its bigger brother's terrority: the Galaxy Note 10.1.

The new Note's specs include an 8-inch WXGA screen (1280 x 800), a 1.6GHz quad-core Exynos 4 APU partnered with 2GB of system memory and 16GB of internal storage. The tablet also features a microSD card slot which can accommodate high-capacity 64GB cards. Additionally, the device boasts a generous 4,600 mAh battery, although Samsung skimped on both the rear and front-facing cameras a bit: they weigh in at 5MP and 1.3MP, respectively.

One interesting feature found on the Galaxy Note 8.0 is an integrated infrared transmitter. With this built-in IR transmitter, the tablet can act as a universal touchscreen remote for televisions, Blu-ray players and more.

Samsung is also bundling a number of special offers with its Galaxy Note 8.0, including 50GB of Dropbox storage for two years and a $25 Google Play store credit. For some, this may help offset the tablet's otherwise steep entry price.

Permalink to story.

It's nice but I think I'll stick to more manageable size in my pocket thanks. If I need something with a screen that size then I can always fall back on my tablet.

It's nice but I think I'll stick to more manageable size in my pocket thanks. If I need something with a screen that size then I can always fall back on my tablet.

That is a tablet, not a phone. The 'Note' part indicates it comes with the pen and has the multi-app functions that allow you to use two apps side-by-side. You should compare it to the Note 10.1, not the Galaxy Note 2.

They said it was going to be less than an iPad mini. Why would I get an 8 inch when a little more $$ will get me the Note 10.1? I was really hoping this was going to be $299 or less. Looks like the next hope for a cheaper tablet is the new Nexus 7 due out this summer.

Mike
Just wait about 2-3 months. It WILL drop in price. There will be another device or two out there that will draw attention away from this one. Its much like the video game market. That newest hottest game costs $60 on release day. Three months down the line you can get it for half. The cellphone companies know you want the newest and hottest phone/tablet/ect right when it hits the market and they price it accordingly. Be a tad patient and Im 100% sure that before xmas you will see this around the $200 range.

That is a tablet, not a phone. The 'Note' part indicates it comes with the pen and has the multi-app functions that allow you to use two apps side-by-side. You should compare it to the Note 10.1, not the Galaxy Note 2.

They said it was going to be less than an iPad mini. Why would I get an 8 inch when a little more $$ will get me the Note 10.1? I was really hoping this was going to be $299 or less. Looks like the next hope for a cheaper tablet is the new Nexus 7 due out this summer.
Oh. I thought it was a phone as well. In that case it's not so bad.

Back