Samsung Galaxy S II ads poke fun at iPhone fanboys

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new series of commercials from Samsung that poke fun at Apple fans are gaining traction on the Internet today. The shorter ad opens with a group of Apple aficionados in line for Cupertino’s iPhone 4S in New York, a typical sight on launch day in most large cities across the country. The group talks about how this is “an event” and they will remember it for the rest of their lives.

About that time, another guy outside the line attracts the group’s attention with his smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S II. The Apple fanboys comment on how light and thin the device is and how large the display is. Mr. Galaxy exits and the phrase “the next big thing is already here” flashes across the screen. The Apple crew then rationalizes that their screen is smaller because it’s “retro”, and retro is the new cool thing.

An extended version of the clip draws the humor out for nearly a minute longer, showcasing multiple scenarios in San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Chicago and Boston. There are plenty of cliché iPhone mocks, such as line dwellers questioning if the phone is 4G capable and wondering how others will know they have upgraded if the new phone looks the same.

After eyeballing the Galaxy S II, one guy says he could never get a Samsung because he is creative. His friend informs him, “Dude, you’re a barista.”

Samsung’s vice president of strategic marketing had this to say about the ads.

“We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time."

Let’s just hope this bit of creative advertising doesn’t lead to yet another Apple / Samsung court battle.

Permalink to story.

Its not only funny but incredibly accurate as well, at least in my neck of the woods anyway ;)

I'm always amazed at the blind loyalty that most Apple fanbois have. Seem to all be wearing their techno-blinders. Recently, I have begun selling cow dung with the Apple logo on them.. Should be able to retire in about six months!

Guest said:
I'm always amazed at the blind loyalty that most Apple fanbois have. Seem to all be wearing their techno-blinders. Recently, I have begun selling cow dung with the Apple logo on them.. Should be able to retire in about six months!

Best and most accurate post ever. Also, that ad rocks.

too bad I live in North America where getting a data plan = bending over.

"Recently, I have begun selling cow dung with the Apple logo on them.. Should be able to retire in about six months!"

at first I was like haha...then I was like MWAHAHAHAHAHA :D

This ads even funnier considering that Samsung can't even sell their phone in certain countries for reason of it being a blatant iPhone rip. :)~

Doesn't even have a (mini)-usb port. Not to mention plenty expensive. Very Apple-like indeed. :)~

I love my SGS2. The iphone's tiny screen plus the fact it needs to be put in a case pretty much as soon as it's out of the box makes me chuckle.

Just makes sure it's a slimline and glossy cow turd and you're in the money...

Guest said:

I put an Apple logo sticker on my garbage can in the kitchen. I tell all of my guests that I paid $700 for it.

Apple seems to have a lot of factory service devices showing up for sell but most of really bad choices if the hardware memory is to blame. Samsung I am not a fan of them, but most of all my Smart Phones are made by them. Drop them and they still keep going. I don't have any issues but with iPod Nano, iTouch and iPad memory data errors an other issues that plague those devices also effects the iPod Phone. Don't seem much on the Android side with these errors.

This ad goes after Apple and Samsung has to get your attention somehow... And you know it worked!

Maybe if the *****s at samsung got smart enough to realize alot of people (at least me) buy iphones over android because iOS is easier, smoother, and just flat out better than android they could actually do something about it.

Think about it, how many people would buy iphones if they had android?

It's an effective ad because it resonates with how Apple is increasingly being seen, similar to how Apple's I'm a Mac/PC campaign ripped on the public perception of Windows. It was only a matter of time before advertisers for rival companies started to make fun of the douchey-hipster, faux-creative, over-hyped image that has been growing over the last decade.

In the Mac vs PC ads Apple was bashing Windows not Windows users. Here Samsung is bashing iPhone users and not the iPhone itself, anyways we'll see how it goes.

Samsung doesn't even shows how the Galaxy is better than the iPhone, ok "bigger screen" is a feature for them but who says it is better, would a "bigger screen" iPad be better, no wait, "people want a smaller iPad and a bigger iPhone".

Lol - funny ad. Am an android user and fan myself but have to hand it to Apple who reinvented this genre. All the later entrants are copycats.

You know what? Wy don't ya? Then come back here and report how that goes in a month or two?

Hint: Cow dung with a brand on it is being sold in the tens of millions as we speak. It's called having the largest market share in a market by racing to the abolute bottom of the price ladder before you can say "Fandroid!". The only profitable makers of Android phones currently seems to be Samsung and to a lesser degree HTC (which just profit warned and said their growth would basically be zero this year). Everyone else of the hundred or so manufacturers are basically scrambling. Hell, even Nokia is totally dominating sales of mobile phones globally but is currently only taking around 4% of the profit.

At the same time a famous fruit company is selling to a miniscule (but growing) 5% of the total market but is raking in over half of the profit of the *whole market*. In all the customer surveys I have seen Apple customers seem to be on average very much happier with their buy then the average Android customer and would happily keep buying Apple phones. Users of other non-apple brands seem to be much less interested in buying the same brand again. 75% of the total mobile market has not yet considered buying a smartphone. Thats an absolute massive opportunity and the race is very far from over. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that there is going the a healthy market for *other* platforms than Android long into the future.

Do you see where this is going? If not then by all means sell that Apple-branded cow dung. My guess is it will sell much better if you put a litte green robot on it at say it's quad core and has a screen bigger that their face. And of course it has to be free on a two year contract...

Back