Samsung Galaxy S II Android Smartphone Review

Awesome review. I love this phone already. I just wish the backside of phones were flat. My HTC Touch Diamond is raised on the back where the camera lens is, causing it to rock if touching the screen, and this phone has it too. Annoying. The alternative is probably making the phone thicker and i don't see that happening, so maybe manufacturers will hear my cries and find something to do about it.

With less PPI (when compared to say Xperia Arc) wouldn't the Text/Images are bit less 'crisper' ? I feel SOLEDs have more vivid colors but somehow I felt that Arc's display is more 'crisper'. Anyway, I think it may just be a 'subjective' thing which may differ from user to user. Anyway, overall a nice effort. Thanks

It would have been nice if Michael had gone a little more into what sort of wifi connectivity issues the phone was having. not having AIM is a bummer but no means a deal breaker. I definitely am looking forward to this phone when it makes it to the US.

I really don't care about this. Smartphones all require expensive data plans. I'm really interested to see the Galaxy S Wifi come to North America, as it hopefully yet will. *That* would grab my attention.

GPS GPS GPS!!!

Never could rely on the Captivate's GPS function like I could Apple's 3G Phone. I'm not an Apple fanboy so I clearly went over to Andriod ASAP, and was soon disappointed by the GPS on it. I just hope it's slightly better....

So I looked over the article again... I dont see anything about GPS. Am I a blind ***** who didnt read through the whole article and missed the slight mention on GPS or is there just no GPS on this device? Maybe Techspot forgot about the GPS issues with the last one? Common Techspot!! I rely on you guys!

trillionsin said:
GPS GPS GPS!!!

Never could rely on the Captivate's GPS function like I could Apple's 3rdG Phone. I'm not an Apple fanboy so I clearly went over to Andriod ASAP, and was soon disappointed by the GPS on it.

I just hope it's slightly better....

I have had this phone for just over a week and the GPS is spot on!

I was skeptical about if this phone would be good enough to 'bench' my HD2 but have been pleasantly amazed. Only worrying thing for me is the amount of positive press/reviews the SGS2 has been getting...seems almost too good to be true!? This combined with the non-existent HTC sensation articles had me slightly suspicious. Long story short my curiousity overcame my reticence and I do not regret my decision yet.

trillionsin said:
So I looked over the article again... I dont see anything about GPS. Am I a blind ***** who didnt read through the whole article and missed the slight mention on GPS or is there just no GPS on this device? Maybe Techspot forgot about the GPS issues with the last one? Common Techspot!! I rely on you guys!

No, you would realize that not even Techspot wrote this. Techspot is just relying on its buddies to grab some page views. Also, GPS is a standard on almost every smartphone released in the past year. So yes, it does come with it. And far as an issue with it, I presume that if nothing was mentioned, then its a good thing.

I recommend reading Engadget's review, as it goes more in depth...

Looks like a great phone with a heap of power. I would love to get it but I will skip this generation and get the next, I only got my Samsung Galaxy S about 6 months ago now :(

Should have got Samsung to send me a sample ;)

snooplehoff said:
trillionsin said:
GPS GPS GPS!!!

Never could rely on the Captivate's GPS function like I could Apple's 3rdG Phone. I'm not an Apple fanboy so I clearly went over to Andriod ASAP, and was soon disappointed by the GPS on it.

I just hope it's slightly better....

I have had this phone for just over a week and the GPS is spot on!

I was skeptical about if this phone would be good enough to 'bench' my HD2 but have been pleasantly amazed. Only worrying thing for me is the amount of positive press/reviews the SGS2 has been getting...seems almost too good to be true!? This combined with the non-existent HTC sensation articles had me slightly suspicious. Long story short my curiousity overcame my reticence and I do not regret my decision yet.
Coolness, GPS was my biggest issue with the SGS, I was greatly disapointed. Will wait for more reviews on the GPS before i jump ship

I'm not much of a cellphone user but I do remember a time when premium phones had xenon flash to complement their AF cameras. Seems that these days, manufacturers put only LED flash and not very powerful ones at that.

Xenon is brighter but led can be left on and used as a flash light . That maybe a reason . i used to have a moto zn5 with a xenon flash and it was super bright it lit up the whole dark room.

It's probably just me being too private but i don't necessarily want a phone with a massive bright screen that people can see clear over my shoulder more easily...

Btw, you forgot to mention in the cons: PRICE is way too expensive for a phone!

lawfer said:
trillionsin said:

No, you would realize that not even Techspot wrote this. Techspot is just relying on its buddies to grab some page views. Also, GPS is a standard on almost every smartphone released in the past year. So yes, it does come with it. And far as an issue with it, I presume that if nothing was mentioned, then its a good thing.

I recommend reading Engadget's review, as it goes more in depth...

Sorry.. I didnt realize that. I suppose I was confused by this:

Samsung Galaxy S II Android Smartphone Review
in-house feature
By Michael Oryl, TechSpot.com

bot last month. had battery problem n got the battery replaced but still have it.. e-mails not efficient like blackberry.all other features r verygood.dash bn.india

Back