Samsung Galaxy S II gets 200,000 preorders, more than iPhone 4

Emil

Samsung has taken over 200,000 pre-orders of the Galaxy S II across all three major Korean carriers between Monday and Friday of last week. About 160,000 of those were from the country's largest carrier, SK Telecom. The pre-orders cracked 10,000 units in the first 29 minutes and doubled that in 64 minutes, according to Electronista.

Samsung's results were higher than the number of iPhone 4 pre-orders in August 2010: just 110,000 units. It's important to note, however, that Samsung is a Korean company, while Apple is American and only had KT as its carrier when it first launched its device. Apple has yet to launch any iPhone on more than one Korean carrier at the same time. Samsung's long-term, worldwide ambitions for the Galaxy S II are relatively modest: 10 million units in all of 2011, which is the number it sold of the original Galaxy S in 2010.

The Galaxy S II will run Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread) and feature a dual-core 1.2GHz processor. It will be the first handset to offer Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus screen technology (4.27-inch display, 800x480 resolution), and is the company's thinnest phone at 8.49mm, with a weight of just 116g. The device also features an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It also has BlueTooth 3.0+HS and HSPA+ connectivity.

The device's new Live Panel allows you to aggregate web, social networking, and app content to a single customizable home screen. You'll be able to switch between three adjacent home screens by simply pressing and holding on the screen. The phone will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking.

Permalink to story.

And I just got my SGS not long ago :( On that end I don't think its that worthwhile an upgrade... though that is an immensely sexy phone...

That's a really really good phone!!! Not a fan of Samsung but a I do like the original Galaxy S.

Best screen I've ever seen and fastest phone I've ever used. Definitely a worthy upgrade to my i9000.

Funny how the design is almost exactly similar to the iphone...Coincidence. :)

Guest said:
Funny how the design is almost exactly similar to the iphone...Coincidence. :)

Not really. The screen is almost 1 inch bigger, the device is thinner and it has 3 buttons at the bottom.

Unless apple has patented curved corners(well they THINK they did) on a device then there's no similarities other than it being a candy bar phone with a speaker over the screen.

I think the design is more similar to their older phone, the F480. this just seems like a larger more scaled up version of that.

The front looks similar (Most touch screen smarts do) but the similarities pretty much end there.

Besides, I don't think apple has patented "Large screen with button at the bottom".

"The device's new Live Panel allows you to aggregate web, social networking, and app content to a single customizable home screen."

Exactly, Samsung has managed to grow WP's 'Hubs' on this device, not a bad copy thgouh ;)

Back