Samsung Galaxy S3 hits 9 million pre-orders ahead of May 29 launch

Leeky

While Samsung's much anticipated Galaxy S3 smartphone won't be available for eager consumers to purchase until May 29 at the earliest, it hasn't stopped pre-orders for the phone from hitting a massive nine million units according to unnamed Samsung sources speaking to the Korea Economic Daily.

The sources said demand is so high that Samsung's factories are already running at full capacity, building around five million units a month. In comparison, it took them six months following the Galaxy S2's April, 2011 launch to hit their ten million sales target -- a figure most industry experts at the time said was rather optimistic anyway. As of February 2012, over 20 million S2 handsets had been shipped worldwide.

samsung galaxy s3 samsung smartphone galaxy s3 sales pre-orders galaxy s2

Current demand for the Galaxy S3 looks set to eclipse those figures in record time at the current rate of pre-orders. Samsung typically works very hard to avoid problems with availability as a product launches, but it's entirely likely consumers will experience stock issues in much the same way it has become almost routine with Apple when launching the latest "I" device to the public.

Samsung's Galaxy S3 smartphone was officially unveiled at their Unpacked media event in London on May 3. As the company's latest flagship handset it has a massive feature list, including a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display with 1280x720 pixels and 306 ppi density. It's powered by an Exynos 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, and 16/32/64GB of on-board storage which can be further expanded using the Micro-SD slot.

If pre-order numbers are anything to go by, there's little doubt that Samsung's latest flagship smartphone will result in very strong second quarter revenues for the South Korean company, as well as making it the undisputed king of Android handsets by shipping volume, and pre-order interest.

Samsung is also the current leader for all handset sales with 86.6 million units moved in the last quarter (smartphones and feature phones combined) displacing Nokia which held the No. 1 spot since 1998.

Permalink to story.

Finally all the complainers have realized 3 things:

1) Hardly anyone uses a phone without some kind of back case cover, which hides the ugly plastic anyway, leaving exposed a nice 4.8 inch screen, that looks no different than the nice looking iPod touch.

2) It is nearly impossible to distinguish individual pixels on the Pen-tile displays in real world use where people do not hold their phone 2 inches from their face. However, what's evident is that the Super AMOLED screen has superior contrast, viewing angles, black levels, sunlight visibility and thanks to the screen saturation, greater flexibility than the HTC One X. (See GSMArena.com review for details).

3) In Android land (not bringing iPhone into this), the Samsung wins almost all the little intangibles against the HTC One X - dedicated flash storage, superior battery life (almost double in video playback mode), faster GPU performance, more available storage options (16/32/64GB models), the camera and video quality are also better in daylight and it has better audio quality with less total harmonic distortion with headphones.

Once the dust has settles the S3 is hands down the best Android smartphone available and it will be made even better in US courtesy of the fast and power efficient Snapdragon S4 CPU with LTE capability.

Gee.. I wonder who you work for, Guest? I like how you specfically call out the HTC One X, because anyone following the industry knows it's the hottest phone out right now and the only real competition to the Galaxy S3.
To quote some of the review from Anandtech.com "The One X has a 4.7? 1280x720 display that?s beautiful, dubbed the ?infinity screen.? In fact, that?s really all you need to know about it - it?s absolutely wonderful, and honestly if you?re concerned with mobile displays just stop right there"
I could go one, but the entire review is here http://www.anandtech.com/show/5779/htc-one-x-for-att-review.

Don't say the S3 is 'hands down' the best, as that statement is arbitrary at best. The S3 is awesome, but 'best' doesn't mean a thing until we at least get some details reviews. The only thing that'll cement the S3 atop the android mountain is Apple's lawsuits against HTC. Just be lucky Samsung has the cash for laywers, or we'd only have the iphone 5 to choose from by Christmas.

I know big phones are in but this and the htx one x are too much like Dom Joly phones for me. Think I will stick with my LG 2X

bexwhitt, judge for yourself, because I'm looking forward to the larger screen size. Not everyone's hands are small; and people usually hold phones in one hand and use the other for touch.
I currently have the S1 and can do just about everything with just one hand.

Defensive much, guest?

I'm fine with people wanting big screens, that's not a problem, but I agree with bexwhitt. There really should be other options (and there aren't right now). I miss small screens.

Just curious what the battery life is. My wife just got the S2 and the battery is only "ok". Will the larger size of the phone allow for a larger capacity battery, or will it be offset because of the larger display?

I really don't get what the point is with these asshats at Samsung not giving us the U.S. release dates.

Whether you want to dismiss him as a "Samsung plant" or not is irrelevant. I can't think of one thing that the HTC One X does that the S3 doesn't, yet there's quite a few things that the S3 does that the HTC doesn't. Putting something arbitrary aside such as phone aesthetics the S3 absolutely is hands down the best Android mobile phone device in existence.

My Galaxy Nexus might get sold for this, if it comes to VZW. Not that anything is wrong with my Nexus, I love it, but there is a lot to like here. The only thing making me hesitate is Touchwiz.

That's a lot of preorders... I almost got the Nexus but I don't like the shape of the Galaxy phones.

<p>Defensive much, guest?</p>
<p><br /></p>
<p>I'm fine with people wanting big screens, that's not a problem, but I agree with bexwhitt. There really should be other options (and there aren't right now). I miss small screens.</p>

Incredible HD LTE

Damn, no edit?

"[FONT=Helvetica]Just curious what the battery life is. My wife just got the S2 and the battery is only "ok"."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]Try upgrading to ICS if you haven't already. Another thing is some apps are poorly written and suck battery. E.g. skype last time I used it was absolutely horrible. My S2 lasts about 48 hours between charges with data and wifi and if I turn them off (as an experiment) it lasts over a week.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]"[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]I really don't get what the point is with these asshats at Samsung not giving us the U.S. release dates."[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Europe, Asia use different cellular network frequencies I believe to the US. They'd be catering for the local markets first is my guess.[/FONT]

Back