Samsung Galaxy S4 estimated to cost $233-$236 in parts

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung's Galaxy S4 costs between $241 and $244 in parts and manufacturing expenses depending on the model, according to a preliminary "virtual" teardown of the device performed by iSuppli based on the official specs. In other words, the group hasn't actually gutted an S4 yet so its figures are subject to change, but they should be close enough to offer a glimpse at what it costs to build a fourth-gen Galaxy.

Analysts think the LTE version will be a few bucks cheaper partly because it has a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600, which is said to cost $10 less than the HSPA model's $30 octa-core Samsung Exynos 5. There are cost discrepancies between the two phones' wireless and power management components but it works out so the LTE variant costs $3 less. By comparison, the HSPA Galaxy S3 costs $213 to build.

Unsurprisingly, the S4's five-inch 1920x1080 display with Gorilla Glass 3 is by far the most expensive part in the device and represents the greatest price increase over the S3 at $75 versus $65. Meanwhile, the 16GB of flash and 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM trail distantly at $28, the 13MP+2MP cameras reportedly costs $20 -- only $1 more than the S3's 8MP+1.9MP setup -- and the S4 has $16 worth of sensors over $12.70.

Regardless of the model, iSuppli figures they include about $6 worth of box contents and they have $22 of mechanical and electro-mechanical-related expenses. The researcher also noted how many in-house Samsung parts are in the phone, not least of which are the display, touchscreen module, as well as the SoC and PWM chips on the HSPA model and presumably the memory. It's estimated that Samsung contributes at least $149 worth of parts in the HSPA unit, representing 63% of the total bill of materials.

Click to enlarge

Permalink to story.

Insane profit margin? this is exactly the kind of thing Android Fans would whine and complain about when it pertained to the iPhone. Watch, they will all agree that Samsung "they have a right to make a profit"... :)

Added: how much longer will it be "cool" to own an Android?

Insane profit margin? this is exactly the kind of thing Android Fans would whine and complain about when it pertained to the iPhone. Watch, they will all agree that Samsung "they have a right to make a profit"... :)

Added: how much longer will it be "cool" to own an Android?

That's where you are wrong and show your iPhone loving colors. Android users never invested in the platform to be cool, they did it because it was better than the alternative which was perceived as being "cool".

It has only become seen as something cool to own an Android phone like the S3 or upcoming S4 because they are so much better than the latest iPhones.

@Steve

don't love apple. Do prefer IOS compared to Android though. I just hate hypocrites is all with a passion and with most (not all) Android boys, its 100% hypocritical when ever it comes anything droid. (I own and use both platforms and not a fan of either company, but do have presence)

*preference. Forgot to mention most android boys always say "iPhone fashion accessory" so that means they must view phones as a fashion accessories and is plain silly. Why would you consider a phone a fashion device? Get a life.

@Steve

don't love apple. Do prefer IOS compared to Android though. I just hate hypocrites is all with a passion and with most (not all) Android boys, its 100% hypocritical when ever it comes anything droid. (I own and use both platforms and not a fan of either company, but do have presence)

But no one said anything yet? Were you just trolling? :p

As I see samsung its taking the place of apple.indeed android its good and better than ios and even the phones are better but that doesnt mean that we shoul agree with samsung profitable technique, samsung made the difference but now seems that its taking a double sense or hidden meaning on that war. so at the end the fans of android are better than apple fans, and aaaaaaall the haters of both world are the same sh-it, they only point the faults.

So now samsung has some good rivals but they need to settle the score in other to create a balance and evading that only one company(theirs or others) takes the whole glory cuz any of them will do the same and maybe in the worst way for the consumer

The thing that makes Android so much better as a OS for a phone is the upgrade ability and the fact that its pretty much open source. With an iPhone your stuck and it pretty much never changes. According to my research the iPhone 5 is slower then the 4S. I know this because I was going to buy the iPhone 5 but when I saw this I opted out. People seam to love the old er version anyway. ( this is my experience)

Overall Android is a much better platform then the iOS. This is the reason why "fan boys" don't mind spending a few extra dollars because they are paying for a superior product. Why would I want to pay $500 for a phone thats slower then the older version.

With a BoM this high, I really wonder if they'll keep the SIV competitive at around $299 on contract or if they'll up the ante because they wouldn't be making very much money.

Funniest part is what does Apple have to counter this and the Note 3 when it comes out, and don't say the Iphone 5S. That is a joke! That will be the exact looking phone as now but with a speed bump as usual. Nothing new or innovative. They are failing. Meanwhile Samsung redesigns their phone yearly with twice the speed as previous years.

So why cant I get one of these no contract for $350? what makes this so overpriced compared to a smart device without the phone feature? (this goes for all cell phones)

Cell phone pricing, is something that never ceases to confuse/amaze me.

So why cant I get one of these no contract for $350? what makes this so overpriced compared to a smart device without the phone feature? (this goes for all cell phones)

Cell phone pricing, is something that never ceases to confuse/amaze me.

Pricing is not based only on the cost to build. Otherwise DVDs would cost $1.49 because they're like $.15 worth of plastic. Pricing is driven by what people are willing to pay. How many will buy an S4 off contract is a good question. But I would expect carriers would encourage high prices for phones that bought without a contract.

If you want to compare this to the iPhone we'll have to see how many people line up to buy it with an S3 in their hand. The ridicule of the iSheep comes from people spending $700+ on an iPhone 5 when they own an iPhone 4S. If people camp out around the block to buy an S4 when they already have an S3 I'll think they're crazy too.

The thing that makes Android so much better as a OS for a phone is the upgrade ability and the fact that its pretty much open source. With an iPhone your stuck and it pretty much never changes. According to my research the iPhone 5 is slower then the 4S. I know this because I was going to buy the iPhone 5 but when I saw this I opted out. People seam to love the old er version anyway. ( this is my experience)

Overall Android is a much better platform then the iOS. This is the reason why "fan boys" don't mind spending a few extra dollars because they are paying for a superior product. Why would I want to pay $500 for a phone thats slower then the older version.

The S phones make up the gap for those who wish to upgrade at different times, I happen to be one of those people who use the S series to upgrade, this is because they have been perfected for the most part by then and feature better hardware than the standard model and are noticeably faster, my 4s easily out does a 4 in every test, Apple don't force you to buy every model they build.

What I did't like about being a HTC android user was that although you seem to have upgradability you actually don't, unlike IOS on the iPhone the droid platform will not install over the air if...

A, Your network doesn't build a version for it.
B, Your phone doesn't meet the required specs to run it.

Now I know you can root the Android phones and install a new version that way but this is unnecessary and quite frankly annoying especially seeing as Apple release an IOS that for the most part works across all of the iPhone platforms as standard without versions being built by network providers and granted older models do lag and some are missing features but it's installed none the less.

No matter how you use android it will always get laggy compared to IOS and will require some knowledge to get it working like it was out of the box seeing as providers seem to be completely ruining droid with bloatware, it's like windows designed to work on lots of different hardware types, that alone brings it's own set of difficulties.

I don't know about you but I use my iPhone with IOS because I need to do actual work and not have to work on fixing my phone, my iPhone 4s has been a much better experience for me than 2 years I spent using droid, and to be honest as much as it's a good thing for us consumers to have better specs, Android is kind of driving the specs of phones forward because of how lagy the platform is over time.

Tell me why do we need Cortex-A15 2.5GHz's ARM CPU's and PowerVR G6430 GPU's for phones when they only play crappy 2D games and go on facebook/twitter for the most part? The rest of the time your either texting,sending emails, or have it stuck to your ear, all things IOS seems to do without ridiculous specs behind it because the developers at Apple have taken their time to build and utilised an OS that works on their hardware of choice.

Granted I don't mind specs at all I'm a specs guy but it's a phone it's not my gaming PC and it's not valid gaming platform in my honest opinion, leave the mobile gaming to the 3DS and PSvita as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know about you but I use my iPhone with IOS because I need to do actual work and not have to work on fixing my phone, my iPhone 4s has been a much better experience for me than 2 years I spent using droid, and to be honest as much as it's a good thing for us consumers to have better specs, Android is kind of driving the specs of phones forward because of how lagy the platform is over time.

You can't compare iOS to all Android phones. There are plenty of terrible Android based devices. iOS is optimized for 3 devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) whereas Android devices either rely on the manufacture or Google. Most Android devices rely on Google to ramp out updates, but there are soooooooo many devices that they can't keep up. Asus updates Jelly Bean specifically for the Transformer series and those devices are amazing. Samsung updates the Galaxy and Note series and those devices are also amazing. Compare apples to apples (I'm proud of being able to finally use this pun), not an Apple to a coconut and complain that one is less user-friendly to eat.

You can't compare iOS to all Android phones. There are plenty of terrible Android based devices. iOS is optimized for 3 devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad) whereas Android devices either rely on the manufacture or Google. Most Android devices rely on Google to ramp out updates, but there are soooooooo many devices that they can't keep up. Asus updates Jelly Bean specifically for the Transformer series and those devices are amazing. Samsung updates the Galaxy and Note series and those devices are also amazing. Compare apples to apples (I'm proud of being able to finally use this pun), not an Apple to a coconut and complain that one is less user-friendly to eat.

I completely agree with you. It is true that there is a learning curve that comes with the Os but once oyu catch up to everyone else your golden. Andriod very good when it comes to work. I use it for my job all the time. I am a network engineer. I use my andriod pretty much for everything. I can do everything I need to do on my andriod with out a hassle at all. Granted that apple can probably do the same but I need the speed that the andriod provides over the a lower specked Iphone

And also when I do finally get an upgraded phone or a update for the OS I would like to see noticeable changes. The iPhone pretty much is the same thing OVER AND OVER. There might be a few changes but still it hasn't really changed where as the android is constantly evolving into something better.

I completely agree with you. It is true that there is a learning curve that comes with the Os but once oyu catch up to everyone else your golden. Andriod very good when it comes to work. I use it for my job all the time. I am a network engineer. I use my andriod pretty much for everything. I can do everything I need to do on my andriod with out a hassle at all. Granted that apple can probably do the same but I need the speed that the andriod provides over the a lower specked Iphone

And also when I do finally get an upgraded phone or a update for the OS I would like to see noticeable changes. The iPhone pretty much is the same thing OVER AND OVER. There might be a few changes but still it hasn't really changed where as the android is constantly evolving into something better.

I'm a network engineer too and I see no reason as to what you could possibly be doing with an Android platform that you can't already do on the iPhone, I totally disagree that Android is faster purely on the basis that Android was designed as I've said and others, to go across a broad spectrum of hardware that sounds great but in fact it's complete rubbish, because at it's roots they have to develop the software at the hardwares most common highest user base, if droid was designed to work with specific hardware then it would be a much a faster utilised OS, iOS is designed to work on specific hardware and so far has proven a much more stable platform to work with, and so far the only OS that supports better photo management, document management, Proxy support, iTunes, citrix Xenapp(droid has xenapp but it simply doesn't work as well).

Why do you think iPad's are the number one choice for schools/education and not droid tablets?

More apps for education that work due to being specifically programed for iOS hardware and more stringent app store filtering, less issues with Xenapp, an actual licensing program that means developers don't get screwed out of money from multiple devices one account issues.

In fact one establishment I worked in openly admitted that droid tablets was the worst decision they had ever made and now have about 150 of them sitting in a cupboard somewhere not being used while the iPads take over, and supposedly the droid tablet has better specs than the iPad 2 but because it's not utilised to work with the spec's of the tablet it's a slower less user friendly platform that fails to work with Xenapp and other apps in the store.

If it's not broke don't fix it is what I say, the very issue with droid is it's trying to look fancy with widgets, but we all know from Windows vista how that turns out, and I'm sorry you can't use the 'it's always the same" argument with iOS if it does everything and more that droid can do then why should it look different every time you update? Why should users have to relearn how to reuse their phone or their tablet?
Once you open an app your not looking at the home screen you looking at a bit of software UI, that UI is hardly going to look any different from droid to iOS.

Granted the phones specs should be better when you upgrade but your not just purchasing the hardware with iPhones your purchasing iOS too and not some freely available linux distribution they have just bunged on to the hardware.

I'm not denying some android devices are good though I do like the HTC droid phones and the LG nexus looks great too, and to be honest so does this phone, but I won't get them because everything I have at home syncs correctly and works with my iPhone, even my windows PC picks up all of my photo streams and it works, without any effort it just works, something that droid has never been able to achieve without issue in my opinion and personal experience.

Why should users of phones have to have tech knowledge to use their phones for it's desired purpose? That's what I say user friendliness and stability is key as a technology nation we have to move on from whats holding us down and that's peoples opinion of technology that it's slow doesn't work and this stops people from buying into it, it should just work.

Back