Samsung Galaxy S4 to feature wireless charging, April 15 launch

Rick

Staff

We've known for some time that a new Samsung Galaxy S smartphone has been in the works. Past rumors suggested a possible April 2013 launch date for the Galaxy S4; however, a recent scoop by Samsung-enthusiasts Sammobile indicates a far more precise date of release: April 15. It's likely we'll see an announcement in March at one of Samsung's "Mobile Unpacked" events.

Alongside a supposed shipping date, Sammobile also claims to have more granular details about the Jelly Bean device.

For starters, the Galaxy S4 will sport a high-capacity 2600mAh battery. That's definitely a step up from the S3's 2100mAh pack, giving the S4 a roughly 20 percent advantage over its predecessor in terms of battery power. The new phone is also rumored to feature wireless charging, likely the fruit of Samsung's involvement as a founding member of the A4WP (Alliance for Wireless Power) consortium.

Earlier rumors indicated the S4 would pack a quad-core Cortex-A15 processor, 2GB of system RAM, a 13MP rear camera and a sizeable 5-inch 1080p display. The latest information corroborates most of those specifications, but upgrades the CPU to eight cores with an eight-core Mali-T658 GPU and a Super AMOLED display. The S4 will supposedly ship in white and black.

The smartphone has been known internally as "Project J", but that appears to have changed to "Altius" recently. It's suspected that the Galaxy S4 will actually be branded as the Samsung Galaxy S IV, especially since the company has used roman numerals in the past for the S III and S II.

Permalink to story.

Battery life is the #1 thing all smartphone makers need a rapid improvement. Glad Samsung is on the right track!
My thinking also it is going to be a huge success for Samsung and thus with the time a game changer (especially the twistable phone!).
Apple already looks way behind on bringing "user experience" counts products.
I also think Samsung has more capabilities to offer better devices than any brand especially because it is an end-to-end hardware shop and a member of defining committees.

It could be accurate. We'll just have to wait & see.
Battery life is the #1 thing all smartphone makers need a rapid improvement.

I absolutely agree with you... Phones have gotten thin enough and the manufacturing of the mobile CPUs has improved, so instead of getting 8 cores and 2-3 GHZ of CPU can they just give us a more power efficient CPU and a better battery that will prolong the on-time of my cellphone? Why is it so difficult for them to understand....

It's sad that this news is coming during the week I am about to send my broken SIII in to Samsung to get repaired. I've been without my SIII since October. Being poor I couldn't afford to get it fixed until now.

Maybe I'll just get a new contract and get an SIV.

I couldn't agree more. My S3's battery life is great. However, I don't expect it to be better on the S4 considering that one will carry a 1080p screen, which should make overall battery about the same; and that's not a bad thing.

Only thing I don't like is the bigger screen. But I'm a sucker, so I'll probably end up getting it...

I couldn't agree more. My S3's battery life is great. However, I don't expect it to be better on the S4 considering that one will carry a 1080p screen, which should make overall battery about the same; and that's not a bad thing.

Only thing I don't like is the bigger screen. But I'm a sucker, so I'll probably end up getting it...

It's interesting you say your S3 battery life is good. How did you manage that, if I may ask, because I must be doing something wrong? Also, my GF's phone and my brothers phone last just just a day. If power saving is not turned on then it sometimes make the wall point at night, other times not.

It's sad that this news is coming during the week I am about to send my broken SIII in to Samsung to get repaired. I've been without my SIII since October. Being poor I couldn't afford to get it fixed until now.

Maybe I'll just get a new contract and get an SIV.
If I get a new contract I'd want them to chuck in a SIV as well as a brand spanking new SUV.:cool: Still I have to make do with my old SII, not that it's a problem.

With normal use my S3 easily lasts between 24-36 hours (by the way I am using a custom ROM, which seems to be lot more stable than the official one it came with). Anyway, battery mileage depends on usage levels, so it is more of a subjective issue IMHO.

I'm going to chime in here as Archean is on the right track for sure.

Now I'm no Android Fan at all however, I have a Samsung Galaxy Y (Gingerbread) at the moment as I can't afford an iPhone and I broke the last one I had.

the official ROM that came with the Y was rubbish, slow, dumb, battery eating beast of a firmware, it would take the phone almost 2 minutes to boot, it was just rubbish.

I then went looking for a custom ROM with an iPhone skin (since thats the OS look I do prefer) and since I did that the phone is nice and quick, a little less dumb since the keyboard actually reacts and everything is just much smoother.

I'm also getting almost twice the amount of battery life out of the thing, I can go almost 3 days without having to recharge it, before I would be lucky to get a whole day!

I bet this new S4 would get even better battery than the S3 if it gets a decent custom ROM.

If you can provide the exact model number of S3 you guys have, I may be able to recommend one. I've tried several, but settled for FoxHound (now at V1.8, with Siyah 1.8.9) on my GT-I9300 (factory unlocked).

Burty
I went out to get an Lumia 920 the other day, but unfortunately due to shortages, it is being sold at premium price atm, so until it comes down to more normal price, I'm rather stuck with S3.

CM 10.x is probably one of the best alternatives, and gives you good performance and battery life (depending upon your usage). They are rolling out nightlies for JB 4.2.1 (aka CM 10.1), those are generally stable but with some bugs as it is still in development.

Back