TechSpot

Samsung Galaxy S5 Review: Refining Android's Most Popular Phone

By Scorpus
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

An informative, in depth review as usual. It makes for an interesting read (plus video) but this phone is not for me, a S5 mini would be more my speed.
  2. So, what I take from all this is that this is pretty much "S4 v2.0", is that about right?
  3. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 382   +80

There is little difference from S4, that's the main problem, not that much can be improved hardware-wise anyway but features like heartbeat sensor is just a gimmick, S health is also something I would never use (not that I never work out), same goes for S voice. I have no need for fingerprint reader and many of Samsungs apps like their Store. Z2 and One M8 seem more attractive.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,952   +900

Nice review. The video is way too long though. I think 10 minutes should be the max you guys should do!
  5. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 612   +81

All the reviews mention the Z2 but this site has not done a review yet!
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

"Lacks the polish of its high-end competitors"

This about sums up where S5 stands in comparison to competition.
  7. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 606   +72 Staff Member

It's coming! Will be the next smartphone review you'll see, slowly been working through the recent trilogy of releases (which also includes the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S5)
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. How does the phone sound?
    How fast was the data connection? I live in a rural area, am curious how it would perform on sprint/verizon.

Can you talk on the phone while browsing?
  9. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 606   +72 Staff Member

Phone sounds fine for calls, the back speaker is pretty hopeless though. As for data speeds I got 50 Mbps down on my local LTE networks in Australia, no idea about Sprint or Verizon. Not sure about talking on the phone while browsing (it's not something I've ever done), but I believe it's possible on HSPA+
  10. Railman

Excellent as I am keen to know how the camera compares on all the models.

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

[​IMG]
    @Railman
    S5's camera struggles to produce correct colors (over sharpens the images it produces). For some it may be alright, probably because these shots look great on SAMOLED screens, but IMHO it doesn't have what it take to compete with other heavy hitters in this category.

Source: gsmarena review of S5
  12. Railman

From those photos I think the Nokia looks the best and Z1 next. However there may be other factors to take into account. What is without doubt a high end smart phone will never come close to a proper mid range camera.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.