Samsung: Galaxy Tab 10.1 on schedule, iPad 2 changes nothing

Emil

Staff

Last week, Samsung's mobile division VP Lee Don-Joo was quoted as saying that the company would have to rethink its pricing strategy and "will have to improve the parts that are inadequate" after Apple announced its iPad 2. This in turn lead to speculation that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 might not launch on time, but Samsung has denied such nonsense, according to Korea's Yonhap News Agency:

Samsung Electronics Co., the world's second-largest maker of mobile phones, said on Saturday that it will release the latest generation of its tablet computer, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, as scheduled, denying speculations that it might postpone its release to make improvements.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a 10.1" WXGA TFT LCD display (1280x800 resolution), powered by a 1GHz dual core application processor. The device only weighs 1.23 pounds (599 grams), and though it has a SIM slot, 3.5mm jack, BlueTooth 2.1, and Wi-Fi 802.11, it uses Samsung's proprietary charging cable and doesn't have USB or HDMI ports. It also includes dual surround-sound speakers, an 8MP rear-facing camera with Auto Focus which can capture 1080p video, a 2MP front-facing camera, and will be available in 16GB or 32GB flavors. Like its predecessor, it ships with Flash 10.1.

The 10.1 will be launching in March in both Asia and Europe, with Vodafone being the first carrier to have it, but Samsung has yet to reveal timing for a North American launch. Pricing is a similar story, though it will supposedly be "competitive." If Samsung believes the iPad 2 poses a problem for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, but does want to change the hardware, it should beat Apple on the price.

Permalink to story.

I'm looking at all these tablets and none of them seem like ipad 2 competition. This is really strange because apple who is usually known for charging a premium, has the best priced tablet on the market.

Bravo android manufacturers, you've made apple's products the best hardware for your money. You have to try to be that bad.

@ Princeton, hey apple troll, jobs has brainwashed you, but the reality is all these tablets destroy the ipad in every way possible, so next time look at the facts before blabbing

Guest said:
@ Princeton, hey apple troll, Jobs has brainwashed you, but the reality is all these tablets destroy the ipad in every way possible, so next time look at the facts before blabbing

TROLL!!!! You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, get your facts straight. I hate to say it because I HATE apple, but they do have the best tablet on the market and it is also the best priced.

On a side note, why does everything have to come in "flavors." everytime someone uses that word in that context I think of coffee shops and turtle necks.

Guest said:
@ Princeton, hey apple troll, shut the f*ck up, yea, jobs has brainwashed you, but the reality is all these tablets destroy the ipad in everyway possible, so next time look at the facts before blabbing

Lol. I'm one of the biggest anti-apple people on this forum.

Maybe YOU should look at facts before blabbing. yRaz summed the FACTS up quite well.

Ya I hate Apple too 100% but unfortunately no one can compete with Apple... Till someone can get below $499 with a better tablet..... Apple is gonna win :( Make the Xoom $399 and they will kill Apple...Keep it $699 or whatever they priced it at and no one will give it a second glance unfortunately :(

Agreed, iPad 2 is at a great price and dont forget the price drops for the iPad.

Guest said:
the reality is all these tablets destroy the ipad in every way possible, so next time look at the facts before blabbing

Except price. How convenient of you to leave that out.

yRaz said:
Guest said:
@ Princeton, hey apple troll, Jobs has brainwashed you, but the reality is all these tablets destroy the ipad in every way possible, so next time look at the facts before blabbing

TROLL!!!! You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, get your facts straight. I hate to say it because I HATE apple, but they do have the best tablet on the market and it is also the best priced.

On a side note, why does everything have to come in "flavors." everytime someone uses that word in that context I think of coffee shops and turtle necks.

Ugh. I hate apple so much I'm willing to pay double the price just so I don't have to continuously suppress my gag reflex.

P.S. I agree with you on the language of "flavors". I guess you can only write so many reviews using the words "option" and "version" that you start dipping into the colloquialism bank.

Your an *****! Lowest price doesn't mean "better tablet"! There is no denying that Apple makes great products but there is also no denying that the Xoom has (or will shortly have) many features that the iPad or iPad 2 do not. They only valid argument I have heard against the Xoom is that it appears to have been rushed out. I can buy that argument but unless they absolutely step on their faces and do not deliver on the Flash, 4GLTE AND, expandable memory....the Xoom will clearly be far supperior to the iPad 2 in many areas. It is only priced slightly higher than the closest comparable iPad 2 and it will provide many more features to justify the extra $70.

If you want the cheapest tablet, go ahead and by the iPad2, its a great product! I think the best think that Motorola did is to NOT try and make another iPad! They made a tablet that meats the demand void in the current tablet market. It looks great and has matched (or exceeded) the iPad2 in speecs, while offering many features that the iPad2 will never offer! This is worth a premium and (while I am going to wait until the flash is released) I will absolutely be willing to pay an extra few bucks for the extra features.

Sure, I would have liked a less expensive 16G model, but I also would have liked an iPad that supported Flash. Who has made the worse company decision....Apple for not meeting the market demand of Flash or Motorola for releasing the Xoom in advance of Flash being ready? I think Motorola made the best move and think they were brilliant to get the product out ASAP.

I think for me, the ultimate differentiator would be battery life and charging time. I would be using it for college notes and browsing so that's why.

Spec's are only half the story. You can cram all kinds of hardware into a tablet, but unless the user's experience is fluid, and the interface, intuitive, then it's not necessarily a good product.

Apple still wins, the have the better apps to use on their IPad compare to Andriod apps for their Galaxy Tab.

Back