Samsung introduces 17.3" R720 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung has introduced a successor to last year's R710, the R720. With its 17.3” (16:9) LED display and ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 graphics chip (512MB or 1GB GDDR3); the R720 is best fit for multimedia purposes.

In coordination with the multimedia-oriented theme, the laptop features 4-watt stereo speakers and a dedicated subwoofer. It will be based on Intel Centrino 2 processor technology and will have at least a minor emphasis on power consumption and extended wireless mobility. Your external devices should be well covered with four USB 2.0 ports, including one eSATA combo, and the ability to charge your gadgets while the laptop is powered off.

Additional features include an antibacterial keyboard with a full-sized numeric keypad and in true multimedia style, an optional Blu-ray drive. No word on the pricing but the R720 will ship to UK customers with Vista Home Premium in July of this year. Assuming they don’t go overboard with the MSRP – the R710’s big brother is shaping up to be a worthy buy.

Permalink to story.

Anything above 15" is a desktop! These massive notebooks that clock in at 17" are hardly portable computing. And they'll cook your huevos if you do try to use it on your lap.

I still can't say that I'm a fan of wide-screen laptops. I'll never let go of my 4:3 screen. Most web pages I come to don't scroll wide, they scroll up and down which emphasizes the weakness of these screens.

Maybe some of you road warriors can chime in and help me understand the market for these monsters?

its a desktop replacement, not a desktop imo, Ive owned several 17" laptops, they offer more power and its versitile. You choose, lug around a 8lb laptop or a monitor, a 40lb pc case and keyboard. There's a market for them, it may just not be yours.

this surely packs in quite a muscle.it can replace a mid-range desktop easily. the graphics core is nice for gaming and multimedia but alas the weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back