Samsung intros 2TB, eSATA-packing Story Station Plus external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung is preparing to launch a revamped version of its Story Station external hard drives. The new Story Station Plus drives have both eSATA and USB 2.0 connectivity, and will be available in 1TB, 1.5TB as well as 2TB capacities. With the inclusion of eSATA, users will be able to access and transfer data more quickly.

The 3.5" Story Station Plus drives are encased in aluminum, which plays a part in heat dissipation. The drives feature Samsung's low standby power design, which reduces standby power by 96% to 0.1W from the usual 2.5W. Like previous Story Station models, the "Plus" is capable of both real-time and scheduled backups, as well as SecretZone data encryption and SafetyKey password protection.

Samsung plans to ship the drives worldwide by the end of November -- or very soon, with only seven days left in the month. The Story Station Plus is backed by a three-year limited warranty and the 2TB has an MSRP of $299.

Permalink to story.

I pulled the image from Electronista's article, but it would seem that may be wrong. I have since changed the image with what I believe is the new model (as seen at Engadget and elsewhere).

The design is slightly different. Rather than a protruding knob, it has more of a recessed dial, and that provides control to three different states. Two of them are labeled clearly as on and off, while the third has a small light bulb icon. I assume this is the "standby" option, but I could be wrong.

Why not USB 3? Sure, few people have it, but it's just the kind of thing to push a device into being more attractive for people who do, or plan for using it for some time to come (when USB 3 will be more mainstream).

@ET3D: Maybe it would just make it more expensive, and there are more eSATA mainboards or just a little plug would do the trick.

I would love one of this have been looking for an external terabyte unit for a couple days checking them out, the only downsize is that here (Chile) they won't come lower than US$150 or so (Compared to the US$95 you can find on the US =/ ).

@Yorro: Every 3,5 external HDD needs a power outlet. On the other hand, who want's to go around with a 2tb external HDD? I mean, yes, you will use it and probably for backups, but to transport information? There are pendrives of 16gb which aren't that hard to aquire to fill that portability issue.

I agree with ET3D, USB 3.0 would be a nice option to have. With all the different external drives available, having something to set it apart from the others plus giving it a longer life might be an edge.

hmmm, perhaps there will soon be an usb 3.0 version. why not? when usb 3.0 becomes more popular. but right now i think eSATA and USB 2.0 is pretty enough. nice extra gadget to have, esp with the low power consumption (which translates to low heat).

There's no doubt in my mind that this is a very capable external hard drive, but man is it ugly! :) I agree that USB 3.0 would have been nice, though, with all the motherboards now being announced that support the new standard.

I have the 1.5 TB version and it's very nice. Someone asked about the dial, it is to switch the drive on and off. It also controls the brightness of the light under the front (which indicates both power and blinks for drive activity).

I cannot get this drive to work on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

But it works on the same computer, when running Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back