Samsung officially announces the Galaxy S III Mini

Jos

Staff

It was hardly a surprise at this point but Samsung today officially announced the Galaxy S III mini, a 4-inch variant of the company’s flagship smartphone. The device features a dual-core 1GHz STE U8420 chip, 1GB of RAM, either 8 or 16GB of internal storage (expandable via microSD), and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

All in all you won’t find the same high-end specs that the original Galaxy S III contains. The 4-inch Super AMOLED screen offers a 800 x 480 resolution, for example, while the main camera was downgraded from an 8 megapixels and 1080p video on the S III to 5 megapixels and 720p video on the S III Mini. Other specs include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, HSPA, NFC for mobile payments and Android Beam, but no LTE connectivity.

samsung galaxy iii mini 1ghz

The design is pretty much the same but in a significantly smaller plastic body measuring in at 121.55 x 62.95 x 9.85 mm and consequently packing a relatively modest 1,500mAh battery. The company is likely hoping to ride on the success of its Galaxy S III branding though beyond external looks the mini hardly lives up to the name.

Availability and pricing details remain unknown at this point. Yesterday reports emerged suggesting Samsung planned to sell the phone for 399 euros outside of contract later this year, with no US availability in the cards.

Permalink to story.

It is still plastic... I like the phone but the lack of quality in buildings materials are notable.

Not a fanboy, I love Andriod but even with Samsung they have to make an effort to make better phones, the iPhone is NOT the best choice for some people but it looks even like a piece of jewelry in the details.

Everybody has different tastes. It depends on what features are important to you. Going with either iOS or Android won't hurt. Heck, if you want something totally different, go with Windows phone.

As long as you're satisfied in the end with whatever purchase you made, you're a winner!

"It is still plastic... I like the phone but the lack of quality in buildings materials are notable"

because this phone targeted for entry-level or mid-level unlike his big brother, that's why you'll see lack of build quality and lower specs for reducing production cost..

Uhg. Why does it have to be friggin white? What's wrong with black? Not everybody wants an ugly white phone. I don't even care for "pebble blue" but I'd get over it. To me, white just doesn't look good. I don't know why...I can't explain it. Every time I see a white phone I just want to punch a baby :p

I agree in this aspect. I personally own the Samsung Galaxy SIII, love its features and all. But it does feel cheap because of the plastic design. I would love to see Samsung use aluminum or other polished metals for more protection and better feel.

Nevertheless, a GREAT phone.

Back