Samsung officially enters smartwatch race against Apple

By Shawn Knight
Mar 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Last month a series of screenshots surfaced on a Korean forum showing what appeared to be the user interface for a Samsung smartwatch. We didn’t have much to go on besides the photos at the time but now the Korean...

Read more
  2. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

Since when are Apple officially in the smartwatch race to begin with? Surely Pebble is the only runner at the moment...
    Littleczr likes this.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

Just because our phones have a clock doesn't mean our watches need a phone.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,678   +868

I would only consider these smart watches if they have 1) charging by movement and/or solar 2) a nice look 3) not too large of a screen. I feel like some company should partner up with Casio to make rugged, sporty looking smart watches.
  5. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash Newcomer, in training Posts: 120   +34

They aren't. Journalists say they are based solely on rumors and blog posts. It's kind of disgusting because they know it's not based on fact, but they gotta get eyes on the page.

I'll grant them that it makes PERFECT sense though for Apple to be working on a smart watch. The iPod/iPhone was basically part practical technology, part fashion accessory which is literally what a watch is.
  6. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 964   +147

While I adore competition because it tends to bring out the best products but lowers the general price for the consuming public, the copy-mode of a technology giant like Samsung is becoming tiresome.

maybe apple should team up with nike to create a smart shoes line called iKe, complete with built-in weighing scale, calorimeter, pulse rate monitor, a-gps, etc.
    if Samsung copies the move by apple and create a shoe line called "galaxy shoes", then I will get a pin and poke my eyes, figuratively, of course. :)
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,678   +868

Agreed.
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 946   +28

While I find tech watches appealing, I don't want one that needs to be charged often. And by often I mean more than once every 6 months or so. The Phosphor Touch Time is so far the only tech watch I've seen which has reasonable battery life, but I'd wait to see it released (and have specs such as weight advertised) before I decide whether to buy it.
  9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Since I don't wear a watch, I'd rather have a shoe phone.
    NimbusTLD likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.