Samsung plans to outpace Nokia in three years

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After launching several popular mobile computing products this year, it's no surprise that Samsung is feeling good about its performance. Korea Times reports that the electronics firm is upbeat about 2011, and has big expectations for its mobile business in the near future, including plans to outpace Nokia in as little as three years.

Although the Finnish giant has had a rough year of layoffs and declining market share, it still accounted for 28% of all handsets sold in the third quarter of 2010. By comparison, Samsung represented 17% of cellphone shipments in the same period. Analysts say the next 12 months will be pivotal in achieving the company's goal.

Given the rising popularity of smartphones and the success of its Galaxy S, Samsung believes that such premium handsets will account for more than half of all production targets. The company is preparing to ramp up production and distribution in China and Vietnam, as both markets are expected to help boost shipments by 20% next year.

Permalink to story.

Cant deny it, Samsung stuff is getting pretty good overall. I've had my LN46A750 LCDTV and it still looks amazing to me.

sarcasm said:
Cant deny it, Samsung stuff is getting pretty good overall. I've had my LN46A750 LCDTV and it still looks amazing to me.

Hmm, can't tell if your username has something to do with your comment...

No wonder they've gained market shared at others expense, I am a Galaxy S user, and except one little quirk (frustrating though) I will still rate Galaxy S higher than iphone 4; so I think they can improve on this and become even more potent player in cell phone arena. However, this sure seems very ambitious target, but what would the world be if people didn't had any ambitions? ;)

It isn't gonna happen.Samsung may be taking big strides in the smartphone department, but Nokia still appeals to the masses with budget phones that are built to get the job done and last forever.
Nokia has still got much better customer support than any other company out there.

Guest said:
It isn't gonna happen.Samsung may be taking big strides in the smartphone department, but Nokia still appeals to the masses with budget phones that are built to get the job done and last forever.
Nokia has still got much better customer support than any other company out there.

The point is, everyone is moving to smartphones. Not feature phones or dumbphones.

Can you relate 'everyone' demographically? And Nokia does not make 'dumbphones'. They're meant to do what they're built for.

Nokia is supposedly doing okay in the entry level market, but struggling to sell phones at midrange level e.g. here I've seen samsung's touch phones like Monte are selling like hot cakes, I hardly see anyone selling nokia in these segments, and at higher end well frankly Nokia is light years behind now, so unless they radically redesign the OS or get something else to provide one, they may become irrelevant in near future.

All those who complain that Symbian on touchscreen sucks, have they actually tried it?
Sure its not as good as Android or iOS, but it is not that bad either.

Moreover Symbian^3 is a new OS, the problems that plague it today are the same as the problems that Android had when it was first released.

Since Nokia refused to adopt Android, I was a big fan for their products but I now like phones on android!!! My HTC Hero does beta, Samsung will finally take the spot!!!!

Guest said:
All those who complain that Symbian on touchscreen sucks, have they actually tried it?
Sure its not as good as Android or iOS, but it is not that bad either.

Moreover Symbian^3 is a new OS, the problems that plague it today are the same as the problems that Android had when it was first released.

I was using a Nokia 5230 but soon after some time I gave it up for an HTC Hero!!! The Nokia was good, but the touch screen was not so good, may I have used a Nokia X6 iy was far improved compared to the other

You don't need to post the same thing 3 times. Learn to edit.

Guest said:
Can you relate 'everyone' demographically? And Nokia does not make 'dumbphones'. They're meant to do what they're built for.

Actually it is EVERYONE. Because manufacturers are moving away from dumbphones(you obviously don't go to howardforums if you don't know this term) and making 2 types of phones. Feature phones and Smartphones. But by strict definition feature phones are low end smartphones. So if feature phones are smartphones and only smartphones and feature phones exist then yes, everyone is moving towards general smartphones.

It's a bold statement on the part of Samsung; but as long as they keep launching better products its entirely possible.

That said, who'd have thought Nokia would even have been surpassed by anyone. 5 years ago everything half decent upwards was Nokia, and the only manufacturer I'd use for a mobile phone. These days, I wouldn't even consider a Nokia, which is something I never thought I'd say!

So, just because Nokia has an aging OS makes them uncompetitive?Symbian can still do almost all the stuff Android or iOS can. Nokia still makes quality phones that appeal to many people who are on a budget.They have the best hardware, they just need to take care of the software department and they can make a comeback.That's why they're working on MeeGo with Intel and supposedly are in talks with Microsoft.

Samsung makes Bada and Android and Windows Phone and WinMo and high end and low end feature phones and ... and they produce SuperAmoled displays on top of that.On the other hand, Nokia discontinued Symbian and ...what?And don't forget Nokla and other Chinese counterfeiters and you can imagine the problems they're facing.In my own experience, at the same price point anyone who's not a fan would choose a Samsung over a Nokia phone or smartphone

Surly all it would take for Nokia, is for it to pull it's finger out.

I've always found Nokia more with quality than with Samsung. I have a Samsung phone now, and although i've had it for a good few years it's still no patch on some old Nokias i've had through the years.

Companys in the far east like Japan, China and South Korea where Samsung come from do make some fantastic products, don't get me wrong. But their emphasis has always been in my mind, to churn it out as fast as possible and not really take greater care on the quality side of things, unlike european companys like Nokia.

It`s a smartphone mania nowadays and obviously Nokia can`t keep up. Luckily for them there will always be a conservative niche in the market of people who just want a sturdy reliable phone and don`t really care about flashy applications, gaming or social networking, not to mention that their quality as products usually surpass Samsung`s and I guess that`s more than 20% of the market. Anyway if they sign up with MS or Google though, things could change for the better. I for once dream of an Android Nokia phone for a long time now, but I`ll gladly settle for a Win7...

I've always found Nokia more with quality than with Samsung.

Except for E series I wouldn't agree with you there, rest of the models are just there or there about, nothing special or better than the rest. My last nokia was E65, and despite its reasonable quality feel, it was sluggish, and its (artificial) leather skin wore off in a year.

emmzo said:
It`s a smartphone mania nowadays and obviously Nokia can`t keep up. Luckily for them there will always be a conservative niche in the market of people who just want a sturdy reliable phone and don`t really care about flashy applications, gaming or social networking, not to mention that their quality as products usually surpass Samsung`s and I guess that`s more than 20% of the market. Anyway if they sign up with MS or Google though, things could change for the better. I for once dream of an Android Nokia phone for a long time now, but I`ll gladly settle for a Win7...

Yeah who needs all those fancy features sometimes. One of the biggest gripes I have about today's phones is, sure it has great apps, etc. but making a simple phone call with unclear calls is annoying *looks at iphone*

Except for E series I wouldn't agree with you there, rest of the models are just there or there about, nothing special or better than the rest. My last nokia was E65, and despite its reasonable quality feel, it was sluggish, and its (artificial) leather skin wore off in a year.

Yeah, i'll agree with you there. I suppose it's impossible for a company to produce line after line of quality products. They do tend to produce a kipper from time to time.

Overall though, Nokia have always been a rock in the market for me, minus the odd crap phone here and there of course.

Not everyone wants a "Smart Phone" personally I think they are a liability, so much money and so fragile, unless you are a public transport to an office type of person and need to be "interneted" on the shor trip from your home in the morning to your office at work then I see them as being quite pointless.

I have a phone to phone people and occasionally text, it cost me €15 and if it breaks big deal. These should not be called phones because I rarley see people actually phoning on them, they are just computers.

So no, not everyone wants one, because I dont want one, and anyone with a job or hobby that is in any way physical should be wary about buying one.

Not saying they are bad, but just reminding people that they are not the "be all and end all"

I won't be surprised if Samsung does eventually overtake Nokia. In the last few years, Samsung has adapted and innovated such that they are now very competitive in every segment of the mobile phone market. Nokia is also well represented in all market segments but they have stuck with Series 40 and Symbian ( S60 & S3 ) and have been content to provide incremental improvements in their existing platforms. Their recent changes in top management as well as the reported hardware failures in their flagship N8 and C7 phones have not helped their cause at all.

YES, I have tried the Nokia symbian. I have a Nokia on hand and a Samsung Galaxy S. Nokia is strickly a business phone if you ask me. Not consumer worthy. I was forced to use the Nokia because it was suppose to be god sent. Atleast that is what the sales man told my boss. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Not intuitive. hard to get use to. Support was and Is terrible. I bought the Galaxy S and it was an Eye opener. I convince my boss to let me use my phone instead of theirs and i have put the Nokia into the drawer. So Please, Yes i have used it.

Back