Samsung Series 7 gaming laptop has HD 6970M, backlit keys

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung's notebooks are usually tailored for mainstream consumers and business users, but according to scattered reports from German tech sites NewGadgets.de and Netzwelt.de, the Korean electronics firm is broadening its endeavors. Displayed at Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, the Series 7 laptop has its crosshairs on the hearts of gamers.

We haven't seen an official announcement from Samsung, but word has it that the 17.3-inch 700G7A features a very bright 1920x1080 display driven by a Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 2GB of dedicated memory. General processing is tackled by a 2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, which is accompanied by up to 16GB of RAM spread across four slots.

Other confirmed specifications include a Blu-ray drive, USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, VGA and HDMI outputs, Bluetooth 3.0, an HD webcam, and a 7-in-1 card reader. Oddly, we haven't seen any mention of storage, but it's common for machines in this size bracket to support dual 2.5-inch drives and we'd like to see Samsung's new 830 Series SSDs on the menu.

Aesthetically, the 700G7A has a glossy finish that covers the lid and stretches around to the display bezel. Meanwhile, the palm rest has a grey metallic finish encompassing the textured multitouch trackpad and full-size backlit keyboard. Most keys appear to have a bluish white backlighting, while the WASD gaming cluster has an organish red scheme.

The 700G7A is expected to hit European stores sometime in September -- approximately a month before the 830 Series SSDs launch -- and will be priced at €1,800. That equates to approximately $2,577 according to Google's exchange calculator, though that's not a clear indication of US pricing and there's no word on North American availability anyway.

Permalink to story.

Err... the excerpt on the headline says Samsung is a Japanese company. Big ooops.

Samsung is a Korean company. The japanese wish such a successful company were their own.

17" gaming.. laptops.. don't.. work !!

17" laptops are heavy and big so aren't portable like 15.6" ones so if you if it will stay at home most of the time why not just buy a cheaper more powerful gaming desktop?

Guest said:

17" laptops are heavy and big so aren't portable like 15.6" ones so if you if it will stay at home most of the time why not just buy a cheaper more powerful gaming desktop?

word

!7" lappys are only big and heavy if you're a girly man with arms like buggy whips and a neck like a stack of dimes. smh lol

Guest said:

I like to have the option of taking it with me...also I just love the bigger screen size.

Matthew said:
Again, that conversion isn't truly indicative of US pricing.

The way Europe is going right now, just wait a few month and €1,800 will be worth about $1000 US. If they still have the Euro, that is.

17 inch not for soft boys or girls
I'm 30 years old I play wow 2-4 hours a day and my lifestyle outside home most of the time I have xxxx laptop 17.3 inch gaming laptop I carry it around like a small bag with a girl

inside my bag - 2x different mouse
Head set
gaming Mouse pad
2x portable hard drives
phone charger-usb cables-hdmi cable - not less than 6-7 kg total

and I'm doing this for the last 5 years of my life
so now u should know why they make those type of laptops for which segment in the market
it's not for school boys or small boys

it's for 20+ years old men gamers only

Back