TechSpot

Samsung ships twice as many smartphones as Apple in Q3

By Jos
Oct 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung continued to lead the smartphone market in the third quarter of 2012, with an estimated 56.3 million devices shipped worldwide according to IDC. That's a massive 31.3% share of the 179.7 million units shipped during the quarter, up from...

Read more
  2. The winner is the "others" in all categories.
  3. 'others' being Chinese knockoffs?
  4. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

These number don't accurately reflect Apple though. iSheep were waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out before they purchased another Apple phone. The iPhone 5 was released with less than a week left in Quarter 3. I'd be more interested to see the sales of the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 vs the iPhone 5 now that its prime competition has released their "updated" phone.
  5. ShadowDeath

ShadowDeath TS Rookie Posts: 51

True but I think now that Samsung won't be supplying Apple's parts anymore they can run full throttle.
  6. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

There are more companies with a smaller slice of the pie than the big companies have to themselves...
  7. Hate these attempts at a story. The only company reporting any numbers that mean anything directly is Apple – they report sales to people that actually use the phone...not 'shipments'.

Samsung and all the others report 'shipments'. That means that if a phone went to a warehouse and will never be in the hands of a user, it is reported. Never do you see the number of returned, unopened boxes of phones. This approach is nothing more than channel stuffing to artificially inflate the perception.

I don't doubt that Samsung sells a lot of phones worldwide. However, in my travels, I see far more iPhones actually in use than I do Samsung phones. These types of articles are just click-bait for the fans for each of the contending companies and has no real world use.
  8. Mamoon69

Mamoon69 TS Rookie Posts: 17

For me, I see far more Samsung smartphones -among others- than iPhones. It is not what you see or what I see but rather what unbiased statistics say.
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +174

Fortunately Samsung is in the business of shipping modern tech and storing it in warehouses around the world to pad these statistics.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.