TechSpot

Samsung shows 8-core Exynos 5 Octa processor during CES keynote

By Shawn Knight
Jan 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung unveiled an eight-core mobile processor during their keynote at CES that uses a unique design to boost performance across the board without increasing battery life demands. The Exynos 5 Octa features a high-end quad-core processor for CPU-intensive tasks like...

Read more

2. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

If hardkernel releases a new ODROID with this that's under 60 bucks, I'm ****ing buying it.

3. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

That's a little misleading in a way. It's more of a dual quad core not a "8-core" processor like what people would think. Otherwise that's cool. I hope they figure out efficient power usage on that thing.

4. dcnc123

dcnc123 TS Member Posts: 52

Title is alright.. but I think quad2x would sound better and easier to understand.. :)

5. And again Samsung is moving faster than Apple, good news because I can't stand Apple and their fanboys

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

I often don't use all 4 cores/8 threads on my desktop, really what is the benefit of this in a smartphone? will it just do away with my PC and just have a dock?

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

Without software's ability to utilize all these cores, it is pointless, at best they are just going for nothing more than bragging rights for this 'dual quad core' SoC.

8. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 87

What's the point of 8 cores?

9. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

The point of multiple cores is "multitasking".
    Yes, they write the os to take advantage of it. I have a four core proc in my phone, and I can tell you it uses it.
    I also have a 4 core/8 thread desktop proc. It doesn't struggle with anything I throw at it. Windows 7 does a good job of load balancing threads. I would assume the mobile os' will do the same.
    I remember using single and dual core procs on my desktop, they would freeze up regularily when a thread would hog the core.

10. Twixtea

I have a 5 year old dual core laptop, it's fast as **** and it never freezes.
    And I do multitask.
    As much as sometimes my 4 gigs of RAM bottlenecks my system more than my dual core cpu.

11. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

Perhaps a dual-core just suites YOUR needs specifically and probably a majority of consumers. But for other people, a quad core is best. Not really because of the extra multi-tasking, but for that peace of mind knowing doing a virus scan, playing the latest games, watching HD videos, converting media, etc. without slow down is a nice luxury to have.

Twixtea likes this.

12. Twixtea

I agree man.
    Quad core is probably best when it comes to price/performance ratio.
    Still I don't get this need for 8 core CPU on a mobile device.
    I mean 2-3 years ago we were getting dual core CPU's on a device like the Galaxy S II, and even today it seems to be more than enough.
    2 Galaxy generations and we're suddenly at 8 cores?
    I mean, ofcourse the faster the CPU is, the better. I can't complain about that.
    But maybe producing quad core CPU's would be more cost efficient? And we could buy the phone cheaper.
    But on the other hand Samsung claims the 8 core CPU improves battery run time, which is yet to be seen, if that really is the case,
    then it's like awesome yes.
    But still production cost for octa-core is probably more than quad, the pro's should be worth the increase in price.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.