Samsung shows flexible 3D OLED TV concept

Jos

This year the whole world was abuzz with the next big thing in home entertainment: 3D TVs! Well… perhaps not the whole world as much as the companies selling them. But even as this market still has to clear a lot of hurdles before becoming mainstream -- such as high prices, viewing angles, or the need for special glasses -- Samsung is already taking the concept to the next level with a new kind of OLED panel that can fold onto itself and display 3D content.

It’s important to note that right now this is just a concept and the practical uses you could give to this technology are a bit unclear -- perhaps a large enough flexible display could provide for an immersive 3D experience by literally wrapping around your field of vision. The concept was shown off at the FDP International 2010 show and Samsung believes that displays like this could be made in the next 5 to 10 years.

Permalink to story.

I can't see stuff like this really taking off...Maybe a good few years in the future. I mean, the fact that i don't have HD tv doesn't bother me, so why the hell would i fork out my precious pennies for 3D (answer is i never will).

Good tech though..

See I could see the difference between an LCD HD TV 1080P TV and a top notch Sony SD Cathode Ray Tube TV due to the resolution. I liked this jump as now when I go and watch a blu-ray or something in HD on TV I get near PC quality image and sound, I liked this jump as it made a genuine improvment accross all sectors of the TV set industry and prices have come rocketing down so its affordable.

The issue I have with 3D is that its not that big-of leap in image quality, actually it doesn't change the image quality at all. its only supposed to make it pop out a bit more, now this works to an extent but it really isn't this almighty leap like the difference between HD and SD was, therefore I honestly don't understand how any of these companys can try and justify buying a whole new TV set just for this tech which clearly isn't as great as they advertise?

Behind HD to SD there were specs such as higher resolution and better sound quality, this doesn't have a similar approach because it is "new" tech which doesn't have a similar way of messauring the performance.

I honestly think 3D tech will be wasted on the general public for years to come, Its a nice thing to have in say the cinema, but you cannot recreate the cinema in your own home without tens of thousands of pounds worth of kit which simply, only very rich people can afford.

I believe the companies producing 3D TV's have been very harsh to almost force this to the consumer, I mean, they are slowly changing all product lines to be "3D capable" but I would rather a lower price than be "3D capable" or at least the option to choose between 2 models with the same functions with the exception of 3D.

its bad enough the glasses are "Sold Separately" then again, if you don't want the 3D part I guess this saves you money.

I'm not excited about the 3D aspect (in any respect), but I've always been excited about flexible OLED displays and the many possible applications for them. Clear HUD displays (say for car windshields or helmets), interactive tabletops (going a step beyond current touchscreen technologies), and being able to create a display in essentially any shape and curve is at the very least exciting.

flexible OLED displays have so many applications, like awesome moving wall paper! cant wait to see how this tech develops

whiteandnerdy said:
flexible OLED displays have so many applications, like awesome moving wall paper! cant wait to see how this tech develops

Ooh...I would so go for moving wallpapper...maybe something like a space theme.

As neat as this sounds, the usefulness of it seems a bit lacking. A giant bilboard display, nicer theater systems, maybe integrated HUDs for military application, but home use? I do not see this entering into the average persons house, unless the hardware becomes cheap as paper, and it makes coffee.

As neat as this sounds, the usefulness of it seems a bit lacking. A giant bilboard display, nicer theater systems, maybe integrated HUDs for military application, but home use? I do not see this entering into the average persons house, unless the hardware becomes cheap as paper, and it makes coffee.

Yeah, You got it there.

In the back to the future part 2 film where the shark comes out of the top of the door of the theater and "eats" Marty...Thinking about it now, maybe thats closer than people think...

@burty117

Not sure if you understand fully what 3D television is?

3D television is merely a higher refresh rate typical >200Hz which allows two images to be displayed at @100Hz, giving the perception of 3D.

In the last decade TV manufacturers have been working towards TV's with higher refresh rates. 3D Television is just one of the applications of this. Its the same in the LCD market with response times, 5 years back you where paying top dollar for a 15ms, today its 2ms.

3D Television is simply the next generation of LED, LCD, Plasmas TV, its certainly not the jump between CRT and LCD. I believe your wrong when you say the companies are harsh for forcing 3D TV on the consumer. Its merely just a feature as is HDMI and the like. They are simply offering a better product.

End of the day its up to the consumer.

mpsteel said:
3D television is merely a higher refresh rate typical >200Hz which allows two images to be displayed at @100Hz, giving the perception of 3D.

Finally, someone who understands the 3D concept...

Basically, frequencies above 72Hz is "non-refresh detectable", that means that the eye cannot percieve more than 72Hz refresh rate. And when "stressed" with (2x)100Hz, different perceptions can occur more easily, call it mirages if you will.

mpsteel said:
@burty117

Not sure if you understand fully what 3D television is?

In the last decade TV manufacturers have been working towards TV's with higher refresh rates. 3D Television is just one of the applications of this. Its the same in the LCD market with response times, 5 years back you where paying top dollar for a 15ms, today its 2ms.

3D Television is simply the next generation of LED, LCD, Plasmas TV, its certainly not the jump between CRT and LCD. I believe your wrong when you say the companies are harsh for forcing 3D TV on the consumer. Its merely just a feature as is HDMI and the like. They are simply offering a better product.

End of the day its up to the consumer.

Now I mostly agree with that except for the fact its merely a feature part,
If it was the consumers choice then why are models without 3D being phased out?
As a consumer myself, I don't feel I have an option if I wanted to buy a new TV to not have a 3D enabled set.
As I said in my post, I would rather a lower price than have the silly 3D support as I feel its simply a waste in its current state and is just a money grabbing scheme to help the companies out after a recession.

I don't want to see higher prices for a feature i'm simply not going to use. Its like buying a ps3 bundled with an eye toy, I simply don't want that at all and Sony do provide a lower priced bundle without it.

Why can't TV manufactures do the same?

I think that's so cool and if technology companies use their imagination(just like with this TV technology for example) then maybe you could have this in a new and very good handheld gaming device. Just imagine if you could fold this screen up like a piece of paper then when you stop to play a game you could unfold it into a massive 32" or above screen and game or watch a film on it haha =P it would be incredible if they got something like this working but right now because it's new I don't want to imagine the cost =/

And @burty117 you said eyetoy, do you mean PS Move? no point comparing those two, it's like comparing PS2 to PS3(honestly I prefer the PS2 generation, I'm very 'nostalgic' person and loved the PS2) but I understand what you mean about the bundles and I don't believe regular LED TV's are being 'phased out' so right now it is just a choice if you want to buy a 3D TV.

@burty117

I am not quite sure what your geting at?

3D TV's currently fit into the high end consumer market, if you want a high end LED, LCD you will be buying one with 3D support.

Before 3D TV's, the high end LED, LCD, Plasmas are in a similar pricing range as today 3D TV's. Now since 3D have been introduced, those high end LCD, LED, etc. fit into the mid range market, and the pricing to suit.

If you after a top notch TV, you'll be buying one with 3D support regardless if you want it or not. Eventually every TV on the market will have 3D support, and the top high end TV will have something new. Just the same way Digital turners where incorporated into TV's.

This is just the way the technology market works?

Back