TechSpot

Samsung starts mass producing super fast PCIe SSDs for ultrabooks

By Jos
Jun 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung already makes one of the fastest and most reliable SATA-based solid-state drives for desktops and laptops. Now, the company is looking to bring even faster speeds while enabling thinner form factors with a new line of PCI Express (PCIe)...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,917   +565

The SSD revealed by iFixit looks nothing like the one shown here, and the performance is quite different. Maximum read speed in the new Macbook Air can reach 800MB/s, which is way slower than the 1400MB claimed by this component from Samsung.

This brings us to a conclusion that we are looking at two different products...

3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 215   +52

Possibly given them the slower model to say screw you Apple, or this could be a recently made model which is why they didn't have it. Either way it's nice to see something new helping the portable market, with it's terrible battery life situation. They tend to sacrifice a lot to add any sort of drive in, and also the speeds don't even compare to this.

I'm hoping it becomes more common in the general portable market, because then we might eventually see it trickle into possibly more useful situations. Just that's my general thoughts.

4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,168   +176

Does Windows does support TRIM over PCIe? Last I heard it did not.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,917   +565

6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,168   +176

That's different. The PCIe device itself supports TRIM but Windows cannot issue TRIM to PCIe device.

This is one example of why I'm asking - wonder if Samsung may be different to the OCZ Revodrive scenario.

7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Or Apple throttled it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.