TechSpot

Samsung starts mass production of transparent LCD panels

By Jos
Mar 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We've seen a number of cool display technology prototypes pop up at trade shows in the last couple of years, including curved, flexible and transparent screens by all the usual suspects. Today Samsung is not only showing off one of such innovations but also announcing it has actually begun mass production of a 22-inch transparent LCD panel.

Read the whole story

2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

I honestly don't think I'd ever want a transparent display for anything more than the novelty factor. I'd much rather work, game, and watch videos on a full, bright, and opaque display.

3. Does this come with a keylogger? lol

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,505   +311

Not a key logger, but a small web cam on the top that will monitor how people "use and view" the panel :)

5. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Yes I would only have one for the novelty.

But for comercial use it might be a really good thing. Window adds in Stores from supermarkets to shoes stores could benefit. It also will open up the door for more interactive displays, and maybe even work for motiongraphic artists in store window displays.

90% less energy is also interesting. If it is cheap people might find all kinds of use for it.

6. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Stuff's looking like it's coming straight out of the Minority Report now.

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

I imagine a day when somehow... someway... our phones will look like transparent lcd screens... just like in the movies. hahaha

8. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

Next step: Transparent touchscreens they can lay out in serial on glass, then you have your sci-fi wall/desk interface

9. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 954   +113

I want a floor made out of this

10. madboyv1

That woulde be pretty boss actually, I can think of a number of applications for that.

11. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 304   +37

I'm also curious.

12. madboyv1

Last time I checked a regular display only monitor does not take user inputs that are relayed to the computer, so no the hardware itself would not. The Software CD that'll likely come with it however... no bets on that. XD

I really hope this doesn't become something akin to the "can it play crysis?" text macro, and if it does I hate you all. :(

13. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,306   +100

If it werent for that 500:1 contrast ratio... I would be uberly impressed.

That aside, I'm impressed.

14. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I want one built into my fish tank, and I'll run a screen saver on it of a better fish tank! Yeah!

15. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 954   +113

Just a thought, how much contrast can you expect something to have that is transparent?

16. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Like buying frustrating glossy lcd panels? This this is your product.

17. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

Okay, I'm tired of the stuff about the Samsung Keylogger. Everyone should read this article right away. Also, TS, Would someone please make an updated article about the Samsung keylogger incident before any more people get misinformed?

THE ARTICLE YOU SHOULD READ RIGHT NOW:
    http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...ylogger-almost-certainly-a-false-positive.ars

18. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

Oh, the old article has already been updated.

19. xempler

xempler TS Rookie Posts: 24

Yeah it turned out the key logger story was bogus. No way would al big company risk getting sued and fined millions for something that stupid.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.